How are 1994 900's?

I'm a SAAB guy wanting to come back... I had two classic 900's with mixed results but I loved them. I know 1994 was the introduction year which isn' good, right?

The ad says 4dr, 5spd, 110K immaculate, power & more $3250

What should I be on the lookout for? How's that clutch cable... hard to believe they left the hydraulic for this version

-D

Reply to
meld_b

Two thoughts on first year of new model:

  1. There are design change issues
  2. These bugs were fixed by the previous owners in the 9 years since 1994.

Take it to a trusted Saab technician for a pre-purchase inspection and get an objective assessment.

There were changes which you may c> I'm a SAAB guy wanting to come back... I had two classic 900's with

Reply to
ma_twain

Get the VIN and ask a dealer to check the service history. Some recalls included upgraded front ends and shift linkages. Serp. belt pulleys need frequent replacement but are relatively inexpensive to do. Look for oil dripping between engine and transmission -- usually indicates a leaking rear main seal. Not catastrophic but a bit pricey to replace. Essentially a clutch job in labor.

The clutch cables should be repaced periodically as a preventative measure. Again not expensive and a diy for most folks. They went back to hydraulic clutches in later models. You'd probably be better off with a '97 or later but its hard to beat $3250.

We have 155k miles on our '95 900S 4 dr., 5spd and it's doing fine so far.

Reply to
Jack F

Thanks for the tips! My Classics were both sedans which had a huge "lip" and the parcel shelf kept me from doing anything huge anyway. Back then I really wanted 4 doors, now I'd be happy to be back to SAAB.

I test drove a 2001 9-3 and the windshild didn't bother me, in fact the wipers were beginning to bug me in the Classic 900. I love the story of how the first time I swapped the wipers while cleaning so that right was above left. I turned it on and there was this TWAANG and it took me a while to understand what happened.

I DO drive in snow, so you are saying it won't be as good as the C900? The weight distribution is still 60/40 right? Did traction control come on these?

Thanks again,

-D

ma_twa> Two thoughts on first year of new model:

Reply to
meld_b

Reply to
ma_twain

Hmm... Yes a comparo would be interesting... Digging around in the stack of SAAB stuff I've got here shows: the NG weighs more and has 60/40 weight split instead of the old 61/39... The wishbones and the "really" equal halfshafts of the Classic I bet come into play too.

Are you saying snow handling is a problem in the NG, or just: Don't expect the legendary handling of the C? I used to put snows on anyway.

-D

ma_twa> The Classics did not have electronic traction control - the layout of

Snip The 'backwards'

Snip

Reply to
meld_b

Mon, 08 Sep 2003 11:28:55 GMT, meld snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com suggested: : Hmm... Yes a comparo would be interesting... Digging around in the stack : of SAAB stuff I've got here shows: the NG weighs more and has 60/40 : weight split instead of the old 61/39... The wishbones and the "really" : equal halfshafts of the Classic I bet come into play too. : : Are you saying snow handling is a problem in the NG, or just: Don't : expect the legendary handling of the C? I used to put snows on anyway.

The NG does just fine in the snow with good tires.

Reply to
andrewunix

I switched from C900 to NG900 S (1994) two years ago. One big disappointment was the overall agility of the car. I happened to have

16-valve 900 before (no turbo) and did not appreciate the power and smoothness of that engine. The 1994 model is also non-turbo, and it feels like driving a cow... I also have 1999 turbo, and it is just slightly better: basically you get a boost when the turbo kicks in. It's hard to predict when it is going to do that -- you end up with sudden abrupt accelerations. I am still trying to get used to it.

The sound system in 1994 is way better, especially if you get the model with an amplifier and speakers in the doors.

The air-conditioning is much more reliable too.

It's is much quieter inside the NG900, especially on the highways.

I think you will appreciate it more than C900, notwithstanding its poor handling.

--Nick

Reply to
Nick Monyatovsky

Thanks - I think I'd like it after the Mazda and Honda I've had to drive since my C900's. Still, I'm worried about having to yank the engine to change a clutch or tranny soon. Can a mechanic predict when that might need to be done?

-D

Nick M>

Reply to
meld_b

Mine has 100,000 miles on it. I have not yet had to change anything significant or expensive. Have not had any reliability problems either. With my former car, as soon as you mention any irregularities with transmission (like difficulty getting in reverse), the mechanics would suggest replacing it. That's expensive. I drove mine for three years with the reverse problem -- all other gears behaved properly. It would have been an overkill to change the transmission.

Reply to
Nick Monyatovsky

Ah yes... I had trouble keeping an '84 900C in first gear so I just held it there... which wore out the fork a even quicker I thought. I wasn't very kind to that transmission because the car was pretty underpowered.

I just heard about a 97 NG900 that had $2300 spent on the clutch and tranny. One reaction to this is that the mechanic charged a wee bit too much!? The symptom here reported was "couldn't get it into a few of the gears"

The 9000 for a while had a hinged frame that could allow for changing... Is this model worth going after? When did this go away?

-D

Nick Monyatovsky wrote:>

Reply to
meld_b