How do I undo this bolt?

The clamp bolt that is on the gear linkage? I want to adjust the linkage because I've just put a gearlever in that isn't knackered at the bottom. I've locked it in 3rd gear using a 4mm rod, but I can't even get a spanner or socket on the sodding bolt. It's above the steering rack so I cant get it from below, and despite sitting on top of the engine reaching down, I can't get at it from the top because of the pulleys.

Someone please help me!! How do do it without making a U-shaped spanner or chopping half my hand off? There must be some trick to this.

1989 900S by the way..£150 ebay special!! Thanks!! Mike P
Reply to
Mike P

Done it - chopped a cheapo 13mm ring spanner in half with the grinder. Works perfectly :-)

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

If you look in professional automotive tool catalogue, you will see many specialized tools. Some of them are just for specific component of a specific year of a car model or engine. The professionals make money by being able to do a job quickly, not by trying to get by with tools that don't work. I watched a Volvo technician use four Snap-On wrench setups to change the spark plugs in a four cylinder turbo. One complete setup for each spark plug so he could reach the plugs easily without disassembling and reassembling the combination of extentions and universals. I would make do with one wrench and spent the time changing the configuration. But he does this daily and the time savings make it worth his while to invest in the tools.

I have read where other pe>

Reply to
ma_twain

Why not buy a crescent shaped spanner?