Ignition Switch Lubrication

Has anyone had any luck lubricating ignition switches. Mine is starting to "bind" [1992 9000]. Tried some of that silicone powder spray in the key slot but the problem appears to be in the outer area where the whole mechanism rotates. How much of the steering column would I have to disassemble in order to remove the switch for a good cleaning and lubrication?

Reply to
Frosty66

Isn't it just simple wearout? The 9000 ignition switch is known for its fast wearout. For instance, if you order a new key it may open the door but it may fail to start the car.

Reply to
th

I have had really good results using graphite lock lubricant but that was not on Saabs with the electronics etc.

I might give it a try after all, you may have to disassemble and clean et. anyway.

What is the opinion of the group, please.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

Graphite lock lubicant is what I have used in my Saab 900's since 97. Because the ignition lock is located low between the seats in a depression, it collects alot of dirt. I also like to take my Saab on dirt roads in the desert where dust is a big problem. This has not helped my ignition switch at all. Graphite lube comes it 2 main forms. A powder and powder suspended in an evaporating transport fluid. The liquid form is what I have used. I put a small amount in the key slot and then insert / remove the key numerous times to coat the pins then rotate the lock a few times. I then continue to insert / remove the key wiping it each time to remove some the dirt that the fluid has loosened up. Good luck and happy driving.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Sounds like solid advice to me. just keep the WD40 away from your locks.

With thanks!

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

Reply to
Frosty66

No, keeping WD-40 away from locks is good solid advice regardless of the position of the lock. Unless you like a dirt-attracting gum-like substance in your locks, that is.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I agree, I do not use WD-40 although it is a similar substance. The solution I used is specifically designed for use in locks. I can not remember the brand off the top of my head and I droped the plastic container a couple of months ago and cracked it. I transferred the remaining contents to another bottle but of course it does not have the correct label.

Reply to
Jim