ignition switch

my low mileage creampuff 1995 model 90 is in shop for its 6th ignition switch. does anyone know anything about this situation?

Reply to
Larry M. Stein

Are these switches from the Audi dealer or aftermarket switches. I recommend the dealer switches since sometimes the aftermarkets are not as well built! BUT sometimes even the dealer stuff will have problems.

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

There is a recall for ignition switch:

Make : AUDI Model : 90 Year : 1995

Build Dates : 19940101 - 19951201

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 96V017000

Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH

Consequence: SOME ELECTRICAL ACCESSORIES, SUCH AS, TURN SIGNALS, WINDSHIELD WIPERS, LAMPS, POWER WIND0WS AND AIR CONDITIONERS CAN MALFUNCTION WHEN THE CAR IS STARTED.

Remedy: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH.

Notes: CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATIONS AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

More about this recall at:

-- Mike

Reply to
TT

its a problem ive had. the ignition switch is a problem with these modles. and sadly it burnt out my starter and so i had to replace that costing an extra 300. simply just buy it from the dealer and not aftermarket.

Reply to
Bard0018

switch does anyone know anything about this situation?

Yes. This type of switch is VERY sensitive to excessive keyring wieght. Dump all the flashlights, Swiss Army knives, bottle openers, nightsticks. etc. Just keys, two or three at most.

Reply to
phil