Tires/Tyres

I am looking for some tire advice. My 2001 9-3 currently has Pirelli P4000 tires with about 25% tread left. I am interested in the best
all-season tire (195-60-R15). I realize this is going to a an opinion poll but I want to hear from Saab owners that are acutually driving on the tires. My first choice would be to own both winter and summer-performance tires but I can not afford this option. Knowing that you can't get the perfect all-season I would be willing to lean toward a tire that is better in snow and rain than summer handling (someday!). Your thoughts both good and bad are greatly appreciated. Dan

I had exactly the same dilemma in Illinois, with the same size tire on my 9000. I selected the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred and have no regrets. Rain and snow traction are better than the Michelin Energy MXV4's I bought for the car previously and the fuel economy also seems improved by a few percent. They have been on my car for a year, and I can definitely recommend them. If you would like to give them a try, here is a rebate coupon (other Goodyear tires also included in the rebate) valid through 21 January 2006: http://www.discounttire.com/2006GoodyearRebateRedemptionForm.pdf
Walt Kienzle 1991 9000T
Dan in Connecticut wrote:

Dan,
I've priorly ran pirelli P6000's (Sport Valice?) & Pirelli P7's on my '99 9-3se. Both of which, well, I didn't like. No idea why I got the P6000's after the P7's lasted perhaps 14K miles (W rating!).
I'm currently running BFG 'traction t/a's -- All seasons, and while they are a little louder, they simply *stick* to the road. I'm running 205/50/R16V rated... I paid about $120 or so a tire. Winter/Snow performance is about as good as can get for a V rated all season -- If you don't need a speed rating, you'll probably get better snow performance + the fact that you're running narrower tires, which will make snow traversal better regardless...
I live in Maine, and these are running me just fine :)
-bny
Dan in Connecticut wrote:

Nokian WR
Using on my '00 93 in Michigan. They have the severe service symbol (snowflake on the mountain) and AFAIK is the only all-season to do so.
Wayne
Here's another vote for Nokian WR for winter use. I have very nice summer tires and hardly notice the difference when I put them on in the spring ( except 10/10ths driving silliness). They are the only winter tire I've ever driven that is also excellent in rain. These are sort of between an all-season and a bad-ass snow tire.
Woof.

I got a set of Bridgestone Potenza G009 tires this summer. They're a bit loud, but I'm very happy with them performance-wise in dry, wet, and snowy weather. It's too early to judge the treadwear yet.
John
John B wrote:

Had Firestone Firehawk ZT200 tyres fitted last time. This was a bit unusual, but that was what they had in stock (or wanted to get rid of). The tyres are 205/55/ZR16 W rated for 270 km/h and seems fine.
http://greendiamondtire.com/concept.html

Green Diamond Tires. I have driven on these tires exclusively on our '99 9-5 SE and '00 9-3 SE convertable year-round since 2002. I do have a financial interest in the company... still, I have been a Saab 'pilot' all of my adult life. ~rich

R Gostenik wrote:

Rich,
I appreciate you letting us know that you have an interest in the company. But I fail to see how using your tires in the summer is a great idea. Why would I need imbedded grit in my summer tires?
--
-Fred W