Car pulls to right with emergency braking

Hello Saab experts! Any ideas what is causing my 1990 900 with ABS to pull to one side when I make a panic stop? I hear that it can be caused by a sticking caliper, but I suspect that it is something to do with the ABS system. Is there an easy way to "turn off" the ABS system and eliminate it as the cause of the problem? Thanks! David N. in California

Reply to
Studecom

Any noises or pulsing when this happens?

Why do you think it's the ABS system? (related to question above)

No. It also doesn't make sense for the problem you're describing.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Sure. It means that one of the front brakes (the one on the side that you turn toward) is grabbing the brake rotor harder than the opposite one. This could be because one is malfunctioning and grabbing too much or the off side s not grabbing enough.

Sticking calipers tend to cause the brake pad to drag during non-braking times which would cause the steering to pull when not braking. Left long enough they overheat the rotor which then warps and eventually causes wild pulsation whenever driving.

Nope. But I really doubt that is the problem anyway.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

I'm not sure about Saab's, but in some cars you can simply disable ABS by taking out ABS fuse.

BR:Z

Reply to
Zon

No, there is no strange noises and the car brakes fine as long as I'm not really stabbing the pedal hard. I first noticed the problem when I had to hit the brakes hard to avoid another car that had cut in front of me. The reason I think that it might have something to do with the ABS is because I think that I'm braking hard enough to engage it. David N.

Reply to
Studecom

Well, if you think about what ABS does, it reduces the fluid pressure to any wheel which appears to be turning slower than the other wheel, it is entirely possible that the pulling you are experiencing is somewhat "normal". Perhaps one of your front wheels is approaching lock up before the other. The modulating brake pressure from the ABS would reduce the braking force on that wheel and you would then get pulling in the direction of the non-locking wheel. The reasons could be the same as what I mentioned before for unequal brake foirce between wheels on the same axle. Could also be a difference in tire condition or pressure.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

ABS makes a dramatic pulsing in the brake pedal when it's working, are you feeling that?

I first noticed the problem when I had to hit

It isn't logical that it would be ABS, a stuck caliper is much more likely.

Reply to
Dave Hinz