Key blank for 91 900 Turbo?

Recently went through a very expensive problem with my 91 SAAB 900, only having one key that broke off in the door.

Towing, plus VIN key cutting, plus inaccessibility to local dealer makes me want to get extra keys made up. Local hardware stores say only a dealer can make the keys. Is this true since there is no electronics built into the key? The one I got from the dealer was just a "Curtis" key blank cut and then mailed to me.

If possible, I would like to have one with the original black SAAB cover on the key head, but anything to get multiple keys would be nice.

Reply to
er

I went to a local locksmith. He was able to cut a key that worked. The local Home Depot also carried the blank, and they were able to make a key as well. BTW, I live in the Washington DC area.

Reply to
ma_twain

Larry Gesch, at Country Imports has these. He's an independant Saab mechanic for several decades, and knows the cars amazingly well going back to probably the 2-strokers. 920-625-2298. He's in Wisconsin, but obviously mailing a key blank is no big deal. The one he made for me looked just like the Saab OEM key, black plastic, big head, but is made in Canada rather than being the exact original, if that matters at all.

Give Larry a call; wouldn't hurt to mention my name I think.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Dave, thanks a bunch. I just called Larry and mentioned you recommended him. He was incredibly helpful. I wish I had someone like that in my area! What a resource. Thanks again.

Reply to
er

Glad to hear it. I've got to talk to him one of these days too...

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz