Which Walmart key for '98 jetta?

I just bought a Jetta but it only came with the valet key. I took it to Walmart and explained to the key cutting drone that I wanted a key but that it would have a different profile than the key I was handing him. He then proceeded to try to jam my key into each of the 'it's this key' holes behind the counter and then handed it back to me saying he didn't have a match. I asked him if he understood that the key would be different and he said he did.

I'm not saying he was dumb but either way, there was some kind of miscommunication going on and I don't have much patience for that so I took my key and left (or rather continued shopping but that doesn't sound as dramatic).

Does anyone know if Walmart can cut master keys for '98 Jettas and if so, what number key blank to use?

Thanks

Rich

Reply to
Richard Thomas

I didint think anyone could cut master keys from the valet key? But what do I know. I would have guessed a dealer would be the only source..

Reply to
Biz

Access+ 43 for a '95.

I would not be surprised if it was the same in '98.

Perhaps you would have a better chance of getting the guy at Sears to cut it onto a Cole AU8 [V35] [X139]

I am thinking you would want to align to the tips rather than to the shoulders, but I am not sure.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

As far as I know, the profile is the same for the valet key and the master key. The difference is the length. I believe you can cut a master key from a valet key, but you have to line up the tip of the blank with the tip of the valet key. The way the machines are set up, the operators will line up the shoulder of the blank with the shoulder of the original, and you'll end up with a new valet key.

I have had good luck with Home Depot for cutt>

Reply to
Randolph

The cross section is different between the blanks too.

Your description of the alignment of the tips vs shoulder is what I was attempting to say, but I was not sure.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

I thought the valet key would not fit in the trunk and other "private" areas of the vehicle. Or maybe this is just on the older VWs and Audis.

Different key blanks IIRC.

So you all are saying that the valet keys will actually insert in the trunk lock?

dave

Yes. Different blanks.

No. The cross section is different in that the valet key has more metal in its cross section. It will not fit the trunk.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

I think your best bet would be to take the key to a locksmith. Our local locksmith works out of a van but doesn't charge a service call if you drive to wherever he's working at the moment (this is a small town). The keys he cut for me work FAR better than any I have had cut at hardware stores. And the key blanks seem to be stouter, too.

Alternatively, a VW dealer may be able to find out the key code and perhaps even get you a key based on the car's VIN.

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin

Bit wary of going to a locksmith as the local one charged me $10 for a skeleton key for my interior house door locks and it didn't even need cutting. That said, in this case, it will probably be worth it. Not dissing Walmart employees but they're not going to be as up on things.

I'd buy an uncut remote blank off of ebay and get that cut but the Jetta was an unscheduled purchase so have a moritorium on spending at the moment (A spare key, particularly a master is essential though)

Found a place online but they wanted $60. Ouch. Maybe I should take up that Locksmith correspondance course I once signed up for :D

BTW, to those who commented, yes, I did mean "cross section" when I wrote "profile".

Interesting also to hear that the master is slightly different length as the Walmart drone did show me a key which he said didn't match cause of the length. That may well have been the one I needed then.

Thanks all.

Rich

Reply to
Richard Thomas

How about Ouch-- a cheap elitist.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

thanks Tom, I usually get my keys cut at Menards or the dealer. Now I will examine master and valet keys. I am sometimes given a valet key instead of a master when I have a car to work on. Then I need to get inside of the trunk and the valet just won't allow it! lol My Audi valet key is long gone before I bought it or I would compare my keys.

dave

Tom, I have worked many, many low end jobs. I don't really care if you wish to call me elitist but I think for Walmart jobs, "Drone" is perfectly valid. If they were after more, they wouldn't be paying minimum wage. More a criticism of the job than individual (IMO)

Rich

Reply to
Richard Thomas

Go to the Vw dealer, they won't even need the valley key to make a copy of it as they should be able to pull it up in their computer via vin # or numbers on the car itself

Reply to
blah

Dude, you rock.

For the benefit of anyone coming upon this thread from a google search or something, this was exactly what was needed.

I was a little concerned when the guy looked a bit confused when I was explaining what I wanted and then went and got his boss and she told me that the machine would only work if the keys were inserted to the shoulders. But I went for it anyway and then the guy took me aside and mentioned in a low voice that he'd cut it the way I asked. Definitely service above and beyond the call...

Result.

The new key fits all the locks. I feel sure that the trunk should be unlocked with the central locking though. Never mind, maybe it's just different from my Passat. At least I can lock the glovebox now.

Only downside is that it's doesn't have a VW logo on it. Oh well, that's probably a positive thing.

Rich

Reply to
Richard Thomas

Cool, because, you know, the garbage men will only take away three trashcans of money per week and the extra is beginning to make an ugly pile in the spare bedroom.

Apologies for the sarcasm but my $1.00 key from Walmart is working just fine.

Rich

Reply to
Richard Thomas