Keyless remote programming

Does anyone know how to reprogram a keyless remote for a 96 SAAB 900S. My car is inopperable at the moment because my remote does not work. The dealer has asked m to tow it in to them and I'm probably looking at a $1000 bill fo a new antitheft computer to be installed. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
ingodaneuf

Doesn't the key open the door? Try holding the remote near the lock on the driver's side and clicking the button on and off very fast 5 times or so. Sometimes that works. (It was in the owner's manual for my 9000).

Reply to
laurak

Thanks Laura. Yes the key does open the door but the alarm, even after removing the alarm fuse, does not allow the car to start either. I had to break down and take it to the dealer. After further research I found that there is no way whatsoever to bypass this type of anti-theft device. Even the dealer does not have a bypass. However they are sometimes able to retrieve the coding from the computer and then reprogram the remote. That's what they were able to do with mine. In the end it only cost me an hopur of shoptime and another remote. Grand total: $300 cdn.

Reply to
ingodaneuf

Thanks Laura. Yes the key does open the door but the alarm, even after removing the alarm fuse, does not allow the car to start either. I had to break down and take it to the dealer. After further research I found that there is no way whatsoever to bypass this type of anti-theft device. Even the dealer does not have a bypass. However they are sometimes able to retrieve the coding from the computer and then reprogram the remote. That's what they were able to do with mine. In the end it only cost me an hopur of shoptime and another remote. Grand total: $300 cdn.

Reply to
ingodaneuf

You might want to get a second one made now; as you learned, if your only one dies, it gets expensive. If you had had a second one, you could have (a) driven, and (b) used it as a master to make a replacement.

Losing or having a key/remote die for these cars, if it's your only one, can be expensive and inconvenient.

Reply to
Dave Hinz