Astra H door mirror glass fell out

Odd one this,

I left the house yesterday to walk to the shops and noticed that someone had lifted up the nearside wiper and a mirror was lying on the screen. I haven't used the car for a few days so it must have just dropped out, or was bumped by someone but they would have has to be deliberately walking along the grass verge and not the pavement.

Luckily the car was half way up the grass verge so the mirror didn't break and some thoughtful person had seen it and put it where I could not avoid seeing it.

When I looked more closely it was the glass from the nearside door mirror, but even more oddly it is mirrored on both sides.

The backplate on the door mirror didn't feel sticky at all, it's as if the mirror glass was pressed into some sort of hot plastic that cooled and grabbed the glass. Now it is just smooth black plastic with a slight lip marking the outline of where the mirror was affixed. No trace of adhesive on the mirror side that was embedded.

Now the question, what to use to stick it back on ?.

I think I will use some fine abrasive to score the mirror side that sticks onto the backplate.

Reply to
Andrew

I would use Soudal fixall, it is very sticky and will cure to a semi hard rubber, it is ideal for such a job (and many others)

Reply to
MrCheerful

My Zafira's driver's door mirror came loose while I was driving 2 or three years ago, but didn't fall off. Re-attached it with double-sided foam tape, and it's been OK since.

Reply to
Ramsman

I agree, they would do well. Bostik? sticky fixers would do the job very well, we used to put up all sorts of stuff with them in the theatre and they were very reliable.

Reply to
MrCheerful

There are six products with that name. Which one are you referring to ?.

Reply to
Andrew

It is a mastic gun tube and says 'soudal fix all high tack' and it is white, there are other colours. mine came from screwfix or b and q, they both sell it.

Reply to
MrCheerful

I've used Araldite, and double sided sticky patches, on different occasions.

It's a common problem on any car over 10 years old. I've had two fail on a Cavalier, one on a Polo, and one on a Skoda. Replacement mirrors are £50 or more. But older cars that didn't have adjustable mirrors fitted on the door pillar didn't fail that way. I never saw these failures in the cars I ran in the 1970s and generally those were even older than the vehicles I've run more recently.

But you can tell when they are going to fail - for a few days the glass will "flutter" as you drive along, so at that stage prise it out and re-glue it.

Reply to
Graham J

The passenger door mirror just fell out. Fortunately the car was stationary on the drive, not going along the road, but the glass smashed. The adhesive had completely dried out. Zafira B, 57 plate.

Reply to
Ramsman