MOT?

Excuse me for being so ignorant; what is MOT that a lot of people in this group speak of?

Regards from Bengt in Sweden (SAAB 9-3 5d Sport Edition 2002)

Reply to
Bengt Österdahl

It's the UK annual car inspection. All cars over 3 years old have to undergo this, which includes an emissions test.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks! I assumed that it was some kind of inspection, but I didn't know in which country (UK or US).

We have the same in Sweden but with a slightly different scheme for "young" cars.

/Bengt

Reply to
Bengt Österdahl

Best drop the other shoe, or the lad will continue wondering...

"MOT" == "Ministry of Transport", which used to be the name of the *.gov.uk department supervising the test. Responsibilities were taken over by the Dept of the Environment, so strictly it's now the "DoE test". One of those cultural-memory things.

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

It's a small animal insect with wings, usually attracted to a light source.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Really? I thought it was spelled moth. Notice the h at the end.

/Bengt

Reply to
Bengt Österdahl

We have the same thing here in the USA but it varies by state. Big open states with no significant pollution problems don't have any testing. Other states do, but it is left to the state to figure out and we usually just call it "emissions testing". Since most states have been doing "safety" inspections for years (lights, horn, tires, etc) we often just lump it under the "yearly inspection" category. The (federal) EPA does tells states that they have to do the emissions testing but the do no do any actual testing... they just approve state by state programs.

Reply to
Retro Bob

Yes, but the h is silent.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

But moths are silent as well. We have a WOF for our cars over here - noise dogs make!!

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

Not silent at all It is a the consonant equivalent of a dyphthong which is two vowels that are sounded together as a unique but related sound as are the o and e in Oedipus.

As if fact were spelled pharm. or as in phlegem which really is spelled that way.

Malcolm Mason

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason