My new C900 'vert has shamed me and let me down.

Coming home last night, the fuel gauge started acting up. Now it has packed up totally.

I don't think it is the sender as bridging the terminals at the sender end does nothing, but somehow doing it at the gauge end does (shows a full tank after I filled up).

Thing is, I can't get a spanner into the back of the gauge, as I don't appear to have one small enough, and my head is always in the wrong place (attached to me body) for me to see what i'm fiddling with through the speaker hole.

This would happen this week, when most petrol stations are going to be dry by friday. People have already started to panic buy and the protest doesn't start until Wednesday.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Hardly a major problem though, right?

Let me know what you find - I have at least one spare instrument panel.

Reply to
Grunff

I reckon it is the gauge, and probably connectors on the back of it (the plastic butterfly with the one nut in the middle).

I don't much fancy removing and refitting the heater and vent controls and the stereo. Non-standard radios always seem to be a bit of a nightmare and fragile.

I reckon if I was to clean the tracks, loosen the butterfly and move it slightly all would be well, but I can't get to it. Removing the panel seems a lot of work to adjust one nut.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Could try a dentist's mirror through the hole. It's easier than trying to get your eye in there .... If you can check the head size (the nut, not yours) with calipers you may have finally found a use for those dodgy 1/4" drive sockets they sell in disposal shops! Good luck. Cheers

Reply to
hippo

I have a few 1/4" sockets. Came in a pack with the rest being 3/8", as part of a "general toolkit" from B&Q from a first started driving.

Has done me well, had it 5 years, lost or broke very few parts, although I usually find that 1/4" stuff is mainly used on a screwdriver handle rather than a socket head.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

In the "goode olde days", when I was driving a Ford, the fuel gauge would fail frequently. I used to estimate the remaining gas by checking their odometer, using the average gas mileage to calculate how much gas is left. If I wanted to be cautious, I would use the city gas mileage to keep from running out of gas.

I also learned how roll start the car > Coming home last night, the fuel gauge started acting up.

Reply to
ma_twain

I normally top it upto full weekly anyway, to keep everything fresh. But with the fuel protest coming up this week, I know on a normal week I can do 2 weeks from a tank, but with additional town driving, and not knowing if I'm goign to get a fill up, it could be tense.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Ahh that is silly. They should really ban anything else than filling the petrol tank in the car. I'm sure it will soon be over.

Reply to
Johannes

Let's hope it's handled correctly this time, and that protestors who disrupt supplies in any way are dealt with swiftly and harshly.

Reply to
Grunff

I think blockading all the uk refineries from wednesday morning is the=20 plan.

Local prices have gone up to an average of 93-94p. Tesco has been=20 selling out and not had one clear pump all weekend, people have queued=20 for 1/2 hour to get fuel, because theirs is still 91.9p a litre, and=20 they are doing the 5p off a litre if you spend =A350 in store vouchers.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

Seems like every man and his dog was at Warrington tesco from Friday PM to Sunday late afternoon.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I didn't understand why they were allowed to get away with it last time.

Imagine if similar action was being taken by some extremist group - action designed to disrupt vital supply lines, and majorly inconvenience large sections of the population. They'd be locked up in no time under the prevention of terrorism act.

Don't misunderstand - I have nothing against peaceful protest (about anything) - it's when small groups of people act to cause widespread disruption and inconvenience that I get really angry.

Reply to
Grunff

No shortages yet here ( St Albans ) that I've noticed and no queues at the pumps. Maybe we're less prone to hysteria round here ?

Haven't seen 91.9 p for a while though. More like 93.9 locally.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Is there some law that prevents hauliers reclaiming the VAT on fuel btw ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

No, but VAT is only one component of the tax on road fuel.

It's all nonsense anyway - any reduction in tax on road fuel could only be achieved by raising taxation on something else; there's no magic way to make up the shortfall.

Reply to
Grunff

I think blockading all the uk refineries from wednesday morning is the plan.

Local prices have gone up to an average of 93-94p. Tesco has been selling out and not had one clear pump all weekend, people have queued

So wait, their plan is to disrupt supply while doing nothing about demand, and this is supposed to cause prices to get lower? I suppose whoever's organized it never took an economics course in school?

Reply to
James Sweet

They are simply truckers you know !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

8-) Here in my part of Sydney (Sutherland shire) regular unleaded fuel is A$130.9 per litre at the three service stations at Heathcote today. Last week it made it up to A$139.9 per litre.

Compared to the UK, where it's about double that, I think we're doing well price-wise for fuel. I don't drive my C900 daily (last time was last week!) btw.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Precisely - as last time, the protest is organised by a small group of self-serving hauliers, and carried out by large numbers of brainless followers.

Reply to
Grunff

This happened on a 2005 Saab Convertible?????

Reply to
Saab Guy