New Style Thermo Install & Adjustment Procedure

Cip1.com sent me these instructions on how to install the 'New Style' replacement thwermostats:

If you already have the rod hanging down from the flaps all you need to do is attach the thermostat to the rod (threaded on) then attach the bracket to the bottom of the stat and bolt the bracket to the block in the stock location. There is a locking pin on the thermostat and a hole in the bracket to stop the stat from rotating. As for adjustment flaps should be just closed when cold and make sure when engine is warmed up that the flaps are opening. The thermostat will modulate between open and closed depending on engine temp as it tries to keep a constant temp in the engine under different operating loads. Sorry no diagrams hopefully you have a manual with some info. Hope this helps, Gary.

cip1: attach the thermostat to the rod (threaded on) then attach the bracket to the bottom of the stat and bolt the bracket to the block in the stock location.

jplikesm73vwbttle: It is easier this way than attaching the bracket and the thermo to the bracket.

cip1: There is a locking pin on the thermostat and a hole in the bracket to stop the stat from rotating.

jplikesm73vwbttl: my new style bracket did not have this hole. I made one by putting a small dab of paint on the end of the locking pin and putting the thermo on the bracket where it goes without tightening the nut. Actually I made 2 marks for 2 holes. One on one side of the big hole and one on the other.

Me Again: Then I took a nail set and stamped an indention on the paint mark. Then I drilled a hole the same size as the locking pin on either side of the hole where the thermo is bolted on at the paint marks.

I attached the thermo to the bracket and attached the bracket to the block.

Before I tightened the bracket down, I pushed the bracket all the way up so the stud was at the bottom of the slot.

I started it up and got down there and waited for it to warm up. I didn't really notice it working at first, so I put the old O.E.M. thermo next to it. I could tell that the new thermo had risen, since it was longer than the old thermo. I checked it 3 times this way, then I took it for a test drive. The oil temp gauge behaved as it usualy does when it warms up. No signs of over heating.

I am satified that it works ok.

I am going to test it by driving it once a day for a few days and before driving, get under there and see if the new style thermo had closed all the way from the day before. And after driving I am going to check to be sure that the new thermo had opened.

Then I am going to put the O.E.M. thermo back on and usee it a while longer, since it is still good.

jplikem73vwbttl

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

- snipped -

Scour VW junkyards to find OEM brackets and pieces. Buy the thermostat and other items you don't have from the likes of Gene Berg or BFY, not a pipeline to China. I bought clips, thermostat, the rod, even the tiny little clip and washer for the rod from Berg.

The thermostat should have a slotted base (my new one does!) to fit inside the slotted hole on the thermostat bracket. Simply spin the thermostat onto the rod hanging down between your heads until the threads bottom out, then back it off until your slots will line up in the bracket. Put the thermostat into the bracket, install the bottom bolt and washer and snug it up. Then slip the bracket over the stud and install the nut and washer just barely loose.

To adjust, simply pull the bracket/thermostat down until the you feel the flaps close on the stops and tighten the bolt. The engine just has to be cool. The compressed thermostat will be the same length whether its 40F or 75F outside.

If your paranoid about whether the thermostat works, bolt it into the bracket and drop it in a pan of water on the stove. With a candy thermometer watch the temperature rise and see where it opens at. Remove it from the heat as soon as it opens fully. Should be 160 to 180F depending on which p/n you bought.

Now, you've checked the linkage by pulling down on the rod and it works smoothly, the spring pulling it back to full open. You've seen the thermostat open fully in the pan. Your set!

RT

Reply to
Raymond Lowe

Reply to
Peter

That sounds like instructions to install the original O.E.M. German thermostat.

Here's the instructions I got from aircooled.net to install the original O.E.M. German thermostat:

O.E.M. Thermo Install And Adjustment Instructions From Aircooled.net.

To replace your thermostat (that controls the flaps in the fanshroud), make sure your engine and exhaust is cool. Underneath the car, between the engine case and the right side heaterbox, you will see the cooling tin between them is two pieces. Remove the piece that is secured to the bottom of the engine case, and the heaterbox. You should be able to see the thermostat and the bracket that secures it to the engine case. The thermostat is the small accordion looking thing with the rod coming out the top of it.

You will need to remove the bolt that holds the thermostat to the bracket. It is the 13mm head bolt that goes straight up and down. With that bolt removed, the spring that pulls on the thermostat flaps to the open position, should pull the thermostat to the top of the bracket. Unscrew the thermostat from the connecting rod that it is connected to and remove it.

If the thermostat has failed in the expanded position (this is most common), you will need to unbolt the bracket from the engine case, and unscrew the thermostat with the bracket attached, then remove the thermostat from the bracket once it is off the car.

To install your new thermostat, loosen the nut holding the thermostat bracket in place, and screw the new thermostat to the connecting rod. The spring for the flaps, as mentioned before, will pull the thermostat to the top of the bracket. Adjust the bracket (the hole at the case is slotted), so that the thermostat is just resting against the top of the bracket. Tighten the bracket down, pull the thermostat down into position at the bottom of the bracket, and install the bolt back in place.

Re-install your lower piece of tin that covers the thermostat, and you're all set!

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 13:12:15 -0400, "Peter" ran around screaming and yelling:

i have been buying the original style thermo for years from an aftermarket manufacturer...bought one about a year ago.... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani