No Horn

Hi all,

I have a 1989 Saab 900 with a horn problem. My problem is simply this: one day the horn worked, the next day it didn't. I checked the fuse, replaced the horns and the horn relay to no avail. Needless to say, my car will not pass inspection with a non-working horn. Anyone hear of this problem before or can think of something I haven't to fix it?

Thanks.

Wemic

Reply to
Wemic

Hi Wemic, Get a light-bulb and a bit of wire to test the circuit, or better yet: a "spanningzoeker" (Or whatever that is called in English... :-D ) You'll find the cause in no time.

There are actually 2 horns (one next to the air filter, and one under the bumper (outside). The chance of both failing at the same time is about zero......

Anyway, you're almost there: Only 2 possiblilities left IMHO: wiring, or switch on steering wheel ...

Good luck, Richard.

Reply to
OKOK!

The switch in the steering wheel is another place to check. The problem is the air bag you have to remove to get to the switch.

Reply to
ma_twain

In an '89 ?

Horn switch on the wheel sounds most ( very ) likely btw.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Hi Richard,

Should have mentioned, only one horn was hooked up when it was working. For some reason, the prior owner had removed the one by the filter. Not being an electrical genius, at what point do I test the circuit? Also, I pried up the two pads on the steering wheel to take a look and they looked OK...it seems unlikely they both would fail on me. Are these pads what you refer to as the switch or is there something more ominous that I need to look at?

Thanks, Derek

Reply to
Wemic

Hi, I don't think there is an airbag on my car but I will check the switch.

Reply to
Wemic

My 1990 had an airbag - and the same problem with the horn. Fortunately, it worked at inspection time.

Reply to
ma_twain