Oh no! Not the Heater Core!

Well, my 600$ 900 S has been relatively trouble free for the past two months since I bought it. But lo and behold, there is a green pond in the backseat. Luckily, I have a parts car and have spent the last three hours removing everything. (well it seemed like that after taking off the steering wheel, the dashboard, the gauge cluster etc. etc.) My question is: Can I remove the heater core for direct replacement without taking off the dashboard etc. My workshop manual is very hazy for this procedure. It would seem fairly easy to remove the lower padded dashboard via the two bolts in the engine compartment and the third bolt inside the ashtray thus removing the lower dash, BUT I'm not sure there will be enough room and clearance to remove the heater core. Any suggestions?

Reply to
waycoolstuff!

Yes, no need to remove the upper dash.

That's it, remove the kick panel, then the long black heater vent, then the heater matrix (core) cover, and you're ready to remove the matrix (core). You'll need to disconnect the control rod from the heater valve.

Reply to
Grunff

If you're gonna go through all the trouble to change a heater core I strongly suggest you buy a new one. Putting in a used core is just begging to have to go through all the work again later.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
waycoolstuff!

That's the one case where a used part isn't so bad, if you get lucky and find one that's almost new.

Replace all the dash bulbs, not just the ones that are burned out. Bulbs are cheap, the good ones will burn out soon enough if you don't replace them.

Reply to
James Sweet

Update: heater core replacement completed. Only another five hours today(!). This project was NOT fun. Good luck to others who will need to do this. One tip I learned: before reinstalling the padded lower dash pad, re connect the heater control rod arm to the heater control via laying on your back on the front seats, look up into the backside of the dash where you can easily see the male end of the heater control. Next carefully remove one of the switches on the control panel next to the heater control (i suggest the hazard switch) now you can orient the rod via your left and right hand's/fingers from the front and back of the dash and get it into place without guessing. After this workout, I'm almost ready to tackle cylinder head gasket. Of course you know I will probably end up pulling the engine out and doing a top end overhaul. Why the hell not?????????/

Reply to
waycoolstuff!

Which explains why it was a 600 bucker!

Park the shitbox and come inside!