Heater core

I have a 1996 Ram 1500 4X2, auto, 318. extended cab with 307K miles on it and I need to replace or clean the heater core (it's the original core). I can hear a noise that can only be from a clogged core. According to the manual I have drain the A/C in order to replace it, plus it looks like I have remove about half the dashboard to get to it. Any thoughts on a reasonable way to clean it out, without removing it? I disconnected it for the summer, trying to keep the 'gunk' out of my radiator. Since it starting to get cool in the a.m. I think it time to have heat again! Thanks David

Reply to
DMSO

I wonder what "noise" would indicate a clogged core. Have you tried a simple flow test of the core by running water in one side and watching the flow from the other?

If you have to pull the HVAC unit, this page shows the basic drill:

John Kunkel

The noise is like water being force Thru a Small opening, a squirting noise that changes with the engine speed. Also the heater puts out more heat at highway speed, rather than low speed and rpm's. The heat diff. is noticeable, and not I have not tried a flow test, but I will.

Thanks

Reply to
DMSO

From under the hood remove both heater hoses and flush out the heater core with your garden hose. Alternate the garden hose from one fitting to the other so you back flush it as well. If that does not free up the flow you will need to replace it. If you have an air compressor you can use compressed air as well. You may find that you need compressed air to break the blockage loose and then water to flush it out.

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
DMSO

You can do that -and- reverse the heater hoses and drive it a bit. I unclog a lot of S-10 and Blazer heater cores that way. Make sure you do a thorough flush afterwards including opening the block drains to get all the crap out.

Reply to
aarcuda69062