Oil consumption

My SAAB 9-5 Areo 2001 8350 swedish mil take lot off oil :-(( Aboute 1 liter mobile1 per 200-300 mil. I am not sure when this realy started. I thing around 7000 mil. My dealer told me to take a look at the oil resisting hose but no problem as I can se. I can blow through them all. The smal flue in the valve cover is clean and open as well. I have never sen any oil smoke from the exhaust pipe even if the engien is cold. I can not se anything wrong less the oil consumption is very high. I am careful with the trotter before the temp is normal.

Any idé about my problem?

Regardes Hakan in Sweden.

Reply to
orat

In message , orat writes

1 litre every 200-300 miles is a lot (especially considering the price of Mobil1). I recently had my 9-5 suddenly develop a massive leak (went through around 12 litres of oil in 40 miles) due to one of the flexible hoses connecting the oil cooler to the engine splitting - my leak was very obvious with the engine running oil was spraying out of the split. Repair was easy, fit a new hose. Perhaps you have a small leak in this area?

Your oil is either going through the engine (failing turbo seals sadly are the most likely) although I would expect signs of smoke or there is a leak around the engine or leaking out of the engine somewhere and with your rate of loss, a leak around the engine should be easy to spot. Any signs of oil drips on the ground where you park the car?

There is one other possibility, one of the many crankcase ventilation (PCV) modifications rolled out by Saab was stopped because of high oil consumption, details here;

The mod that reputedly caused high oil consumption is the third one on this web page with a connection from the PCV system to the oil filler spout - if you have this version of the PCV then modifications to this may cure the oil consumption.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Sinclair

Andrew Sinclair skrev:

Thanks Andy.

I can not se any leak on the ground where I park the car. No drips or oil spraying under the hood. I have the modification 1 on my car. The bigger "check valve". So I can not se anything where the oil is gone. The oil level is moving down, I do not se any leake under the car or under the hood no signs och smoke. I do not understand this. It must be something ;.)

Hakan

Reply to
orat