problem with fuel sender

On a 1992 900S non-turbo:

As I was driving the other day I stalled out. When I pulled over I saw gas leaking from the back for about 30 seconds. I pulled out the trunk bottom and saw that the fuel input line had separated from the top of the fuel sender. The plastic bracket that holds the input and return fuel lines had come loose because the threads on the unit had been stripped from overtightening (by my mechanic, of course).

I managed to get the screw relatively snug by using plumbing tape on the screw, but I know it's only a matter of time before it loosens again and the same thing happens.

My question is whether it is feasible to re-tap the plastic threads for the screw on the fuel sender. If not, any recommendations on how to secure those lines into the pump so I don't have the same problem again?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
William O'Brien

Fuel /pump/

I think you have a couple of options - drill out the hole and tap to a bigger diameter, and find an adapter to take your current thread -> bigger thread, or get yourself a new pump.

I suspect unless you are familiar with your local engineering companies, or have access (and are handy with) a metal working lathe, the second option will be easier.

Reply to
Grunff

Hey brother Grunff - as gingerly I as treat fuel systems from the block backward - wouldn't the flagellant be able to pull this off with a simple drill press on low settings and a tap set? It's dashed irregular to be sure, but unless its a high pressure or high tolerance fitting - it might keep the machine going till the floors rust out.

FYI I've decided to have my 9000 parted out and will have a spare automatic tranny for anyone interested in the spring.

I think at the end of the day I like the 89-91 9000 series enough that I will keep an eye out from a dead engine 5 speed southern car. The NG900

2.3 NA isn't as bad as I thought - but I don't like it as much as the C9000 T and fuel consumption isn't as good as the old 2.0 turbo. They are right, steering feels odd at the limits and parts are very 'specific'. No naughty using my 89 9000 for spares.

But - the radio is great, that dash blackout is very nice on long runs and I had forgotten how much I like a 5 speed. voo-voo-voom!

The dealer here in Halifax NS is very good too - thankfully.

Reply to
Dexter J

Greetings Dexter J,

My thinking was that is the threads are stripped, you would only be able to get a decent tap a size up. So the current male fitting won't fit - hence the need for an adaptor.

And a spare fuel pump for the OP?

Glad you're enjoying the NG900 - I will watch your relationship with that car with much interest.

Reply to
Grunff

Of course, thanks for clarifying. I probably wouldn't trust a heli-coil insert here either.

Actually, I have two - the OP is welcome to one for a small gratuity. They are both from an 2.0 turbo, what do you figure a working used fuel pump is worth these days in the mother country?

Well, as I don't 'love this car' - it was pointed out that it will probably last forever.. :/ ..

The seats are no where near as comfortable as the 89 9000 and it is considerably more crowded in the passenger compartment. On the other hand, it's not leaking water into the cabin or leaving any stains under the block. An ABS ring is missing from the drivers side axle and it'll need a ball joint (which means a whole lower forward control arm in this model) come spring. On the whole - an average driver for not much money. But, an average driver for not much money - which isn't bad I guess.

Reply to
Dexter J

A breakers yard will charge you £40-£50, but you have to climb up three cars high and remove it yourself (you ever been to a UK breakers yard? Space is at a premium, so they get stacked 3-4 high. Much climbing involved).

But removed from car and cleaned, you'd be looking to pay closer to £80.

Reply to
Grunff

Hello Original Poster: You can have one of my fuel pumps by standard ground mail from Halifax NS for £60 or in trade for a good left side drive axle for a 1994 2.3 NA NG900. Feel free to contact me directly through the site below if you are interested - I can assure you Mrs J Dexter would view it's departure with almost unbridled enthusiasm.. :) ..

Reply to
Dexter J