Re: congratulations, welcome, what took you so long?

> Congratulations to Saab, Ford, Chrysler, and Nissan (Infiniti) for the

> > discovery of AWD in a sedan, hatchback or station wagon for the 2004 or 2005 > > model year. > > Too bad Saab is allowing the brand to be diluted by marketing people. > This is similar to the introduction of the V6, for people who are more > interested in piston count than engine output. > > > Congratulations to Subaru for selling the 9-2X to Saab to help in Saab's > > "discovery" of AWD. > > It's never been necessary, with Saab's winter handling characteristics. > It's strictly a marketing move. If it allows the real Saab designs to > continue, it's tolerable. > > Dave Hinz >

Does a Volvo have 'winter handling characteristics' too?.. is it a Swedish thing that they are keeping secret from the rest of the world?..

Reply to
Mike Hall

Well, of course they do.

I don't think Saab have told Volvo how to do it properly, or perhaps Volvo haven't been listening. Ever driven a Saab in the winter, Mike?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

They're supposed to. I know the Volvos I tested had a "snow" mode for the transmission. My Saab spent a lot of time in snow and on icy roads this year, thanks to a cold winter in East Tennessee. It felt much more stable and surefooted than

4-wheel drives I've used, particularly on the curvy roads here. The Saab seems to find the pavement and sticks to it.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

in article c2ft06$1el8bg$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-134476.news.uni-berlin.de, Dave Hinz at snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote on 07/03/2004 19:25:

Yup, unlike Abba!

If we're all quiet, father Dave can tell his "driving a 96 in a blizzard over the mountains" story ... Go one Dave, tell it anyway :)

Here's our favourite:

When my wife drove our old 900i in snow, on a nice uphill the two cars infront skidded off sideways in opposite directions and the trusty old Slaab trundled on through making a path for the snow plough behind her LOL.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Not RWD ones, though being heavy beasts are slightly better than a BMW. Swedes would normally have studded snows anyway, which helps....

Saabs are excellent, but I found a 9K with stock 205's not as good as the

900/99. The 96 was the ulimate snow car IMHO....
Reply to
Chris

Possibly the 9000 is a more conventional transverse engine FWD, but this helps F/R weight distribution. But here in London/South East we have little snow. Any snow here, however, will take the community with total surprise and everybody will be stranded.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Somebody set me straight: I thought the 9000's engine was north/south.

Thanks, Steve = : ^ )

Johannes H Andersen said:

Reply to
Steve B.