im melting (sorry so long)

ive got a 71 1600 i pulled the motor to put a clutch in it, while it was out i removed everything from the long block and cleaned it all up, put it back together and it runs great, except it cuts off at random now. ive replaced fuel pump, filter, all ignition parts, now the rubber on the wire going into the dist. is melting after about 30 min. or so, ive checked and i have the same voltage on both sides of my coil, and ive made sure all wires r in the right places. thanks!

Reply to
187

Oooooooo. The small wire (Grn?) going from coil to the side of the distrib?

The only reason I can think of that this would overheat is if the Coil was an aftermarket unit which requires a Ballast Resistor. If it's the factory original Bosch coil, then no ballast is needed.

The other possibility is that the engine is overheating and the high engine bay temperature is melting the wire. It's suspicious that this all started after having the engine out and apart.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I've tried the resistor and it doesn't help. I dont know about the overheating, it seems to run great(when it does run), it's not pinging or smoking or anything,

Reply to
187