Re: Oil Catch Tank

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.eastlink.ca, Dexter J at snipped-for-privacy@lamelamelame.org wrote on 09/03/2005 22:13:

Salutations: > > >> in article MYEXd.209$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net, chris at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com >> wrote on 09/03/2005 15:52: >> >>> >>>> Paul Halliday wrote: >>>>> I'm looking for an oil catch tank solution for the crankcase >>>>> ventilation >>>>> system on my 1989 900 T8. I'm getting oil dripping down onto the fuel >>>>> metering plate and into the airbox. I'd like to (a) stop it and (b) >>>>> get a >>>>> handle on how much oil ... I don't seem to need to top up at all >>>>> really; >>>>> maybe a "gloop" now and again. >>>> ----8>>> >>>> Paul, I've had oil drops come from the valve cover ventilation hose to >>>> the >>>> air filter canister and clog the filter on my cars. But this was on >>>> single >>>> carb 900 and 99 cars (had one of each). >>>> >>> >>> I think nearly all of my 8v 99/900's carb or injection had some small >>> amount >>> of oil in the airbox. >>> >>> suppose you could vent to atmosphere.... >> >> Yeah ... But I'm getting oil actually on the fuel metering plate and I'm >> not >> sure that's a "good thing" :( >> >> I've actually just this minute tried a VTA test. I blocked up the vac >> line >> at the intake manifold and the end of the hose that comes from the top of >> the crankcase. I then stuffed a breather filter into the hole and .... It >> stalled ... >> >> I adjusted the throttle stop screw and it seemed to idle okay. What >> happens >> then? Is that okay? Can anyone see any problems with that? >> >> Ideally, I'd like to put a catch tank inline into the system. So, idiot >> questions: >> >> 1. What does the vac line *actually* do? Yes, I know it sucks at idle and >> prevents boost entering the crankcase by using a one-way valve ... But >> what >> does it actually do? >> >> 2. Do I need it? Can I just stump up the basic idle and have done with >> that >> part of the system? If so ... Do I need to do the catch tank >> installation, >> or is venting to atmosphere okay? I know there's a performance gain >> associated with doing that, but I have a road car not a track car! > Hey brother Paul - I'm afraid I don't have the answers to the particular > questions. However I wanted to let you know that I had what I thought was > a similar problem on an old 99 engine which turned out not to be vent oil > at all - but simply condensing fuel varnish weeping down the manifold > walls when it got damp enough. > > While the system required an annual wipe and clean when I did the filter - > my wrench at the time said I shouldn't be bugged too deeply by it.

Yup! I'm kind of bothered, because I clean my air filter about every 3 months and the metering plate is always covered with oil. Anyway, I've been running without the PCV vac pipe today and a filter stuffed into the crankcase. Seems to run fine ... Even a little sportier!

I've got the design for my homebrew catch tank finalised, so I'll pick up the bits at the weekend and get it made. I know I shouldn't worry, but I'm a dog with a new bone and want to see this crazy idea out ... I'll probably put it back to stock in 6 months time, but it keeps me off the streets and away from hard drugs :) :) :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

---8

---8

Reply to
Robert

Robert - I've not pulled the cam cover yet. I'll do that at the weekend when a have a few clear hours. I need to renew the larger PCV hose, since it has gone old and brittle, but I'll clean down throught the remainder of that hose too. That hose on the turbo is a little more complicated, since it actually runs through parts of the coolant hosing (the heat from the coolant hose warms the pipe up); it's not just a straight run, as per injection or carb models.

Reply to
pjgh

Reply to
John Hudson

And I think Halfords do an oil filler kit (yes filler kit) that is adaptable to a catch tank.

This is an article for the Toyota Celica GT4, but the GT4 PCV breathes rather heavily on the earlier cars, and only the last model (st205) had a catch can as standard.

Might be easy nough to do on a Saab using the same filler kit as a catch can.

I've seen beer cans and epoxied on circular tops being used in the same way.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar