Re: return of the classic saab from C.1975-1992?

> I really fell in love with SAABs. I had a 1977 99 and a 1979 99. They > were what I call the real SAABs. The curved windshields, low hood > height from the slant 4cyl engine. The funky shape and way the hood > opened frontwards and was a solid shell of a hood rather than a "lid" > like most cars. I loved those vehicles. Solid steel, safe, spartan in > places that didn't matter, handling that was very impressive, and I > found them remarkably easy to work on. I guess the last what I would > call a real SAAB was the pinultimate early 1990's 900 Aero Turbo (not > the convertable). They were as the ads said "The most intelligent car > ever built".

I didn't like the early 900 when I saw it first time. Yes it looked solid compared to contemporary cars, but it wasn't harmonic shape as it was a 99 with some add-ons at the front and back. It wasn't a new and clean design. As a result, the wheelbase was short compared to the body length as the longitudinal engine hangs out in front of the front axle. There were some nice details, such as the wrap around windscreen, the clamp shell bonnet. But basically, I didn't like the look of the car.

The 9000 benefited from Giugiaro design, although this did not connect with old Saab models; only the front grille looked like Saab. The early models had this 'greenhouse' hatch which didn't look so good. But it was still an upmarket car at the time ~1985 compared to anything else at the time, it was positioned in price with a Jaguar; large room, high performance 175bhp. The CSE ~1992 had major improvement in styling and is still quite a handsome car. It also feels well put together.

Do you think there'a chance SAAB will revisit the classic styling that > won most of us over or continue with uninspired cars that look much > like Olsmobiles?

Certainly, Saab could benefit from more pointers to nostalgia models, but sadly the styling of volume cars these days is dictated by 'low risk' marketing.

Reply to
johannes

johannes gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The back end of a c900 3/5dr is exactly the same as the back end of a 99

3/5dr.

As it did with the 99, of course - except the c900 is actually longer wheelbase - the extra length is between the front wheelarch and the A- pillar.

I don't know which country you're thinking of, but the 9000 was nowhere near a Jag in price. At the time, Jag's only models were the XJ & XJS - both of which were WAAAAY above even the most expensive 9000s.

The 9000 was squarely priced against it's rivals - low-end 5-series & E- class etc. The XJ was priced against the 7-series & S-class.

Reply to
Adrian

I remember the first 9000 Turbo was about 20k in 1985. The Jag was about 22k. Saab soon introduced a non-turbo 9000 at about 15k.

Reply to
johannes