99 9-3 15MPG

Hey everyone. I've got the 1999 9-3 Turbo hatchback, automatic. I'm having a huge problem, and that is that I'm getting 15mpg. I was getting ~21 before, but the MPG deteriorated over the last couple of weeks.

So I took it to my local shop, where they replaced the oxygen sensor. After that didn't fix it, they did a full tune-up and found a valve that needed to replace.

So here I am, a day later, and the gas mileage still sucks. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks nick

Reply to
Nick Macey

What "grade" of gas are you using? Specifically, the octane rating would be good to know. Also, it would be smart to look at the fuel filter. Basic-level troubleshooting, I know, but you gotta start somewhere.

Reply to
MainerInMass

Did you change the air filter recently? Also, check for small leaks around the fuel injectors. Any evidence of moist gasoline is a bad leak.

Reply to
darthpup

Was this a Saab shop, or a corner garage? What was wrong with this valve, and do you have the old one?

What did the Tech-II computer tell them when they asked it what was wrong? If they didn't do that, then that's your first step.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

"Nick Macey" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

How are you figuring gas mileage? Did you reset the mileage computer after the work was done?

Reply to
Laura K

Figuring mileage through the SID.. How do I reset it?

Reply to
Nick Macey

"Nick Macey" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Check your owners manual. On my 900, I hold down the button that displays the mpg until it clears. Until you reset it, it will average all mileage since it was last cleared -- including mpg from before you had it serviced.

Reply to
Laura K

You could also do the following:

  1. Fill up the tank and set the trip meter to zero
  2. Drive your normal routes
  3. Fill up when it gets to 1/2 tank and divide the miles > "Nick Macey" wrote in
Reply to
ma_twain