retorquing cylinder head

Hi all. I've recently come across some info regarding the retorquing of the

16v cylinder head. Apparently it can be a common occurance for these heads to become a bit "loose". Has anyone had any experience with this? I have a very mild oil leak at the front edge of the head on my 9000 and this is purported to be a cure if things aren't far gone. Ideas, comments? Thanks.
Reply to
ajs

I've done this with other engines when a recall to the head bolts was prescribed. The usual deal is to remove (or loosen) the head bolts one at a time. Then go through the initial torque setting, including the rotation again from scratch without disturbing the head. It usually involves an initial torque spec and then a certain number of degrees rotation after that. Be sure to find out if the head bolts are designed to "stretch" or not, as those would require replaement for retorqueing.

When I replaced the head gasket on a '93 4 cylinder 2.3L it did not require the bolts to be replaced as they are not of the "stretch" type.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound