Saab 9-3 Steering wheel play (crossposted).

Hi All,

I have a 2000 9-3 which has just failed it's MOT :o(

Some Wan**r has jacked it up under a footwell and split a seam. I've welded that back up so it shouldn't be a problem on the re-test. More worrying though, is that the tester says there is too much free play on the upper steering column - that is, if you grab the wheel and pull it up and down, there's too much movement.

With a reasonable applied force, you get about half an inch of movement, but I reckon that's pretty normal. I've just bought another

9-3 and there is just as much play on that one. Can anyone with a 9-3 confirm this, or have I got two duff ones?

Just in case, I've taken the dash apart and checked the upper column mounting bolts - they were tight. I've also tightened up the adjuster lever a bit, but it was fine before. It looks like the play is coming from flex in the metal that the column is bolted to.

Trouble is, How do I convince the tester?

Cheers,

Colin

Reply to
Colin Stamp

If there truly isn't anything you can do (and I've heard before on Saabs about a little in/out play being normal) it might be time to try another tester. Maybe one familiar with Saabs (either an indy, or one they recommend). Will end up costing you another test fee, but if it is the only way through, it solves your problems.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I think you might be right. It's going for the re-test on Monday so I'll find out then. I've left the column shroud off so I can show them where the play is coming from. Hopefully they will see reason. Trouble is, it'll mean admitting they were wrong. I'll try the old golden bridge bit and tell them that tightening up the adjuster lever made some difference.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

That might work. Sometimes ot show them you've tried is enough to show it isn't dangerous, just normal.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo