Saab 96 front discs

Can someone tell me what the minimum thickness is for the 1972 Saab 96 front brake discs please. The book says it is stamped on them but mine are very rusty and I can't see any sign of it. Thanks

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

All V4; 9 mm

Reply to
MH

Thanks, but what is the original thickness? I have been getting firms here to find out, and they can get discs from Australia but they say the original thickness is 9.7mm and the minimum is 8.0mm. Haynes says 9.0mm. My discs are 9.0mm!

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

Do you plan to use tha car a lot? or hard?

If not; use the 9 mm discs.

Reply to
MH

So use them and get another set now for next time.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

No, you misunderstand the spec. That's the "Don't put new pads on if they're thinner than this number" spe. They meet the spec, so the built-in expected wear from a set of pads is still there. Not to mention the typical Saab "add some margin to the spec just in case" margin.

Nothing wrong, at all, with using those disks.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Well, I'm sure you already know this, but...

You don't *have* to replace them just because they are at the minumum thickness. So long that they are not (yet) warped just toss a set of pads on and keep rolling. When they finally (inevitably) do warp you can re-access the situation and decide if you want to replace the pads again along with the disks or just try to flatten them out (file or sand, etc.)

Reply to
Malt_Hound