Saab and 9-5 engine troubles

I read here a while back about Saab in Europe offering an extended warranty on the 9-5, admitting that there has been an issue with the PCV system over hte years but haven't seen anything lately or about the US.

My 9-5 was diagnosed with a failing turbo about two months ago, the diagnosis says that the seals are going and that it will need to be replaced some time soon. The symptom is that I get a blue puff on startup, especially noticeable in hot weather and pretty much non-existent in the cold (as it is now in Rochester, NY)

Anyone seen anything more about this extended warranty on the US models? I'd love to take it back to Saab and have them fix it before the summer when I suspect that the car will start acting up again.

Reply to
Bill Jackson

US dealers have been informed. A mailing to eligible owners (you must be the original owner) will be coming out in a month or so. Not sure if turbo problems are directly related to internal oiling problems in the block and heads. Check the 9-5 borad on

for much more about this issue.

Reply to
Geoff

Why in the HELL would I need to be the original owner? Can you point me to something that I can read on this please?

Their search engine is less than good, and I didn't see anything official-ish there last week, got a pointer?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

In Sweden the official information about new 8 year engine guarantee clearly state that the guarantee follows the car, not the original owner. Why should it be different in the US?

Reply to
Goran Larsson

Hopefully it's not, or I may become annoyed at Saab USA.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I think the OP's point was that the MAILING would go out to original owners. Actually its probably all the owners they have on record -- they know of all the originals but fewer than 100% of subsequent owners.

Some Saabnet postings here:

JackF