Saab newbie

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 20:25:13 +0100, MH wrote: (someone else wrote...)

Agreed, everything would work differently if his statement was true. Compressing gas heats it. If you don't believe me, put your hand on the pipe between an air compressor and it's tank & tell me what you think. Or, feel a propane tank when it's in use and see how cold it is.

Right. So the base boost may be, say, 0.8 bar, but when you're using APC (or newer) the base boost isn't the upper limit, the knocking is.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

What makes it better in the winter?

My experience with 2 stroke engines in general (never driven a car with one) has been very mixed. Some, such as outboard motors on boats seem very robust and reliable, others like those little ones on yard equipment and the occasional but quite rare lawnmower to have one have been very finicky and touchy, perhaps owing more to the physics involved with shrinking down an engine than the operating principal.

Reply to
James Sweet

Propane torches and for that matter any sort of compressed tank will do the same, some to a greater extent than others, it's the exact same process as refrigeration and AC systems use except it's not a closed cycle. You could charge your A/C with propane and it would work, though I would certainly not recommend it as a leak could be dissastrous.

Reply to
James Sweet

Errrr - NO !

For a simple practical example - use a bicycle pump to pump up a cycle tyre. You'll be surprised how hot the air gets. And the pump too.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 04:01:27 GMT, James Sweet wrote: (I wrote:)

Combination of handling, traction, hand-brake steering, and probably not a little bit of a "This is my car for fun" rather than "This is my daily driver that I have to be careful with".

Well, as long as you keep it in tune, oil fouling isn't an issue. You're not going to get a half million miles out of one without a rebuild, but for the limited horsepower (38 to 60-ish BHP, depending), they are amazingly quick. The car isn't all that heavy, and of course it's a Saab so the aerodynamics are great.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Nope:

Specifically,
Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Perhaps the Valued Customer will give an explanation of the above statement before I start admitting that I am a physics failure. Even worse it was an elementary grade.

Reply to
John Hudson

I think the oil tank was only used in the Saab Sport where it also was combined with a pumping mechanism that improved the bearing lubrication. All 2-stroke Saabs I came in contact with used pre-mixed fuel that you filled directly at the filling station. In those days such fuel was quite common and it was quite easy for all users of 2-stroke fuel to fill it directly into motorbikes etc.

Or maybe the separate tank was something only for the US market?

Reply to
th

Right, that's the gear-driven pump on the left side of that frame.

Far as I know, gasoil was never sold as such here, you had to mix your own.

I don't believe so. The GT850 and then Monte Carlo engines, and the Sonett 2, all use injected engines. I think mixers might have been gone from the line entirely in 1967, but I'd have to check. Actually, if you can read the fuzzy text on the page after the tank photo, it'll probably give you a range of chassis numbers.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Actually I was referring only to the pressure boost that turbos provide.

Actually it is.

When you refine oil you get so-called 'fractions' of various octane values.

The higher octanes are partly limited by the kind of oil being processed ( light sweet vs heavy crude for example ) but typically attract a premium price due to market demand.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear