SAABs for scrap or not

Two SAABs have been left on my property and the owner has refused to organise getting rid of them so it is up to me. I have no knowledge of cars but they seem too good to just get the Scrappy to remove them. They are a SAAB 9000 Auto (K reg) which is good except the automatic gearbox has broken. The other is a SAAB 900 Jubilee (E Reg) which goes but is a bit rusty.

Any advice welcome. Are they worth anything?

Thanks Liz

Reply to
lizzieb

Probably a goldmine of parts even if the bodies are not in superb condition. Auto transmissions are a bain of our existence but when they work well they're lovely devices.

When you said they've been 'left on my property' what exactly does that mean? Were they dumped there, or was the owner previously renting from you and moved on leaving the cars behind?

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Maybe someone from the UK will let me know where to advertise them for parts.

They were left at my Mum's garden for temporary storage but the owner now refuses to answer my calls or emails despite me offering to sell them for him or arrange disposal. I have given him a deadline of the end of June to take them away (have been there about 18 months) or I shall have to do something. I have the log book for one. I would hate to just scrap them as the 9000 is lovely inside with all that leather etc.

Thanks aga>

Reply to
lizzieb

Sadly a K reg 9000 with broken gearbox is worth more for parts than it is as a car.

Where are you in the Uk btw ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Why not just yank a gearbox from a rusted out 9000 and pop it in? Seems a shame to scrap a straight car.

Reply to
James Sweet

in article d870l7$i53$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com, lizzieb at snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote on 08/06/2005 15:51:

If they are genuinely yours to sell or part out,

a good enough place to start. They're not really worth anything beyondthe parts themselves. A quick eBay is the other alternative (but, seebelow), if you do not own the cars, then you cannot sell or part them out.

Be clear about the legality of what you do beforehand ... I'm guessing, but I sense a "history" with the owner of the cars.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Reply to
lizzieb

In the US, you can take title of vehicles in exchange for unpaid storage fees. Perhaps that's something you could / have to do before selling them?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Ummm... Yes ! Otherwise I might have suggested a guy who would come and take it away.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

You might think so but the labour would come to more than the car's worth.

9000s with broken bits go for £100 or so on ebay. I even know a guy who scraps runners simply as they're worth more in parts.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

To do that would likely involve litigation. Involving expense which seems to be contrary to the desired objective.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I guess without prying too much Paul has hit the nail on the head, there's a bit of history here.

You need to sort out ownership of the cars, just apply for a new V5 on both of them on the basis that the owner has refused to do anything with them, you could reasonably assume he/she means for you to keep them.

Remember if you have the logbook, you must declare them off road with a SORN, or tax them. Otherwise the computer will issue an £80 fine for each, OUCH.

Once you have legal ownership, get a set of tools and scrap em for parts. ebay is a good place for getting rid of parts.

Reply to
Al

Will DVLA do that you reckon ?

Mind you V5 isn't legal title anyway.

Yes - quite. I'd like to know how effective that's actually been in catching road tax dodgers.

There are often plenty on there. 9000 door mirrors alone regularly go for about £25 if you're a lucky seller. DI cassette should fetch £50.

Local authorities often take vehicles away free to scrap in you're a resident in their area. Dunno how that would be in the wilds of Scotland !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear