Saabvideos.com Bandwidth statistic (500Gigs in 15 days)

He's not lost. He's posted here before.

He was making a jokette.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Graham,

Thanks.

Is a jokette, a joke from a female perspective??

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

I suppose it might be.

In my book it's simply a small joke though.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

from my site has spent nothing, so if everyone can pool their money together, then we'll get somewhere.

Frankly, the solution has been offered, it's called bittorrent and it's free.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

such files, then I would have to link to each of their sites.

Have you tried bittorrent? You wouldn't have to link to the active participants which could be more than 12. :)

See "bittorrent"

Reply to
David Taylor

The point I'm making is that you're asking for someone to contribute a relatively large sum of money - you need a fairly wealthy sponsor.

TBH, if I had that much money sitting around to spare, I'd be far more likely to donate it to a humanitarian project than a video library - sorry!

Reply to
Grunff

I thought that would be a Jokess?

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

....no, I'm not lost old fruit....just interested in Saab topics *including* your videos! Fascinating though the topic of bandwidth may be (I've had 39 years in IT), I confess to thinking that the thread was kind of drifting into a parallel newsgroup! No offence intended - trouble is with posting to NG's no-one can tell if you're having a larf....and some people will only see a joke by appointment... :o))

Reply to
Pidgeonpost

from my site has spent nothing, so if everyone can pool their money together, then we'll get somewhere.

David,

Normal people without much computer experience will NOT be able to download from bittorent.

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

Grunff,

I hear ya, where is GM when we need them? :)

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

I don't agree. Installing the Azureus torrent client is trivial. Then you just double-click on a torrent link, and it opens in Azureus and starts downloading. When you get pieces downloaded, Azureus will automatically start sharing it with other users.

I started using Azureus without knowing ANYthing about bittorrent. It's not rocket science. As you get into it you can tweak and customize it more, but it works just fine out of the box.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz

from bittorent.

Of course they will, it's hardly any different from working out that "Media player is unable to play the media file" due to a missing Divx/Xvid Codec.

Can "normal" people work out what to do given a few instructions?

Here's the instructions for Bittorrent:-

Step 1. "You will need to install a bittorrent client, click HERE to download one"

Step 2. "Click on the link to download the video"

Done.

Yes some people may have to forward a port on their router or configure the PC into the DMZ, some will some won't but right now you have a bigger problem than deciding whether the world is capable of loading a client instead of downloading a huge pile of data from just one overloaded site!

The solution is there, if you choose not to take it then I give up and will not make any more suggestions but good luck in finding the bandwidth you need. I can't help but think that you're looking for problems and not the solution.

If it makes you feel any better, why not continue to host them but also offer bittorrent links?

I just wonder how many "normal" people find them on your site in the first place instead of being newsgroup readers who are typically not what I would put into the normal "I just read the bbc or my portal site and check my email" category anyway. You shouldn't assume that everyone has little or no ability although to continue to attempt to solve their problem is commendable! :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Quite.

Reply to
David Taylor

I don't think so. Aren't all of these videos in the public domain? You should be able to make a collection and sell it on DVD.

I can't say how big the market would be, but hey... you never know.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Ok brother saab guy - at the risk of further annoying you - have you checked your raw logs yet? 500g a month is *very* heavy traffic for what is in the end a pretty simple vid site. Even big vids.

You need to do your math and consider if it is realistic that you have the human user base to justify the transfer totals ('bandwidth' as you are reading it actually means 'transfer totals' as brother Grunff was saying).

I did some quick math and I'm still pretty much convinced that between you and your host, it is configured so that:

a: a user re-downloads the vid every time they kick up a view.

b: you are being cross linked from one of several pirate sites (again - hello apnic).

c: you are being slurped by one of many bots out there which rightfully need to be banned.

Look - I know that popular wisdom has it that any 6 year old can put up a full bore multi-media website. However, it takes some actual real effort to set it up and administer it so that it doesn't break the bank once it's up.

Very few site hosts take care of this for some really good reasons and the transfer warning you have received is sort of their way of saying you might want to look at all this more carefully. Ignorance of the detail is expensive as with any technical issue.

Sooo - again - get the raw logs and drop them into any spread sheet, then review on time stamp and kb transferred. You will find several entries that are getting your page, supporting images and starting vid downloads within a couple of secs. This is a likely a slurper. Look at banning the IP ranges. Although this is a pretty lame band-aid, it will help in the near term.

Check the referrer links into your site and back track to the IP. A red flag is a link to a vid without a corresponding visit to your site proper. You can use mod_rewrite to control this as you will likely find your vids (but not your site) dynamically linked through some very strange portals. You started posting direct vid links to this NG a while ago - they will be turning up in several places that swipe this NG to generate supposed content. Take some time with this:

Please be aware - direct links are not always a pirate - sometimes someone just bookmarks a particular vid. However, with transfer heavy objects - it is good practice to require a site visit to download a vid.

Finally - you want to look at the multi-media client type that caches your vids locally at the user rather than calling a new download every time it's linked, stopped and started or paused.

Or, as I did, grudgingly replace your format with something that is substantially more controllable as regards transfer rates and client caching.

Now, I'm the first to say that RealAudio is kinda a pain - but most of my regulars are on non-windows platforms and have the beans to know how to cripple the annoying nagz-wares aspects of it. Also, as it has turned out, there are now a couple of good non-RealAudio free-warz players right now that will read the codex directly.

Anyway brother SAAB guy, I know this should be a freak out of the highest order for you at the moment. Here you are with a good free use site that is about to cost you winter tires. But like most things in life - doing the deeper reading will save you considerable bux once you are done.

Again - cheers and best of luck, it's a pretty good idea and worth the effort to figure these details out if you ask me.

Reply to
Dexter J

Dexter,

I will forward your message to the site admin ASAP.

Thank you

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

Coolness, hope they can help you with it.

In the interm - have you considered breaking up your page into an index top page and several content specific pages? I note this because your current top page runs about 1.2 megs after all the img links feed out.

If you use text bodies to describe your content with simple tickler graphics - then organize your downloadable content on sub pages - you will get even better juice from the search engines and *substancially* lower the transfer rates to both good and bad bots quick indexing your site.

Some will still crawl the whole site - but again - you can control that more carefully as you secure the content a little better.

Reply to
Dexter J