Can I have UK opinions on this 9-5 please.

http://smallr.com/2pk
Yes it is an auto, and I've never had a modern Saab before, only 900s. But the Celsior Auto is getting too expensive to run and potentially too
scary to repair if anything goes pear shaped.
So while I would have prefered a manual, at least I'm used to driving an auto now.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest
Elder wrote:

Hi,
You heard about the oil sludge, right? If not search "saab oil sludge".
No mileage, no number of owners, 1600 sounds like a lot of money ... I would just keep walking but there again that is me.
Regards Charles
--
Please remove _removeme_ to reply.

Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@dundee.ac.uk says...

Guestimating at 110,000 in wisebuyers.co.uk, they reckon £3600 for a 1999/2000 V plated care.
Haven't seen it other than through the fence at the car sales place, will need to ask about history etc, and yes I had heard about the sludging issue. Just didn't know how common it was in the UK, compared to the US. -- Carl Robson Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest Homepage: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@dundee.ac.uk says...

OK, been and had a look and got some more details. paint is more scuffed and stone chipped than I noticed last time but still shiny and no rust coming through anywhere.
Looking under the bonnet, it has modifications B5, C1, and C4 on the passenger side inner wing. What do these codes mean? PS fluid looked a little low, but brake fluid and coolant levels looked good and clean. Oil was a light brown/caramel colour. First 9 service stamps are complete upto 106k, mostly Squire Fernaux and an indy in Bedford.
Current mileage 134 on the dash.
Only one PSV hose I can see, seem squeezeable but not soggy. But it looks like the cam cover had been repaired with a beige paste where the PSV hose mounts to it.
SID is missing a fair few pixels, but still enough there to read most of the messages.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest
βœ–
On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 16:03:11 -0000, Elder

Looks like a pretty decent car to me... Oops, uh ooh sheit, I'm not in the UK.... However I wouldn't worry about a 9-5 auto, I got one last september (after a '95 9000 non turbo manual) and I'm loving it. I'm in ths alps on holliday right now, and the Auto with 2.0t runs fabulously in the mountains.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.org says...

What is it like on fuel, and how is the service history on yours? I am worried about the blue smoke at startup, and the potential issue of sludging even though the oil is a nice toffee colour.
Maybe I should stick with my first thoughts and find a nice 9-3/9-5 diesel instead.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest
βœ–
On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 21:13:00 -0000, Elder

Mine is a 2003 Estate model, and runs on LPG/Autogas, and I got it with 294.000Km's on it (183.000Mi) as the third owner. Service history is perfect, the car was sold new by the dealership, and traded-in there with 60.000 miles, sold again and traded-in again by the same dealership, where I evetually got it from. All service was done at the same shop, and the head engineer personally checked all my questions.
I was kind of worried at first with the hight mileage, but I got a great deal, and never regretted it so far. The high mileage is a counter indication for worries of sludge, so I learned from the reactions on my question on the SAABcentral forum. Also Sludge happens a lot less on LPG runners, because of cleaner combustion.
See also the topic at http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t 8436
I'd be weary form blue smoke at startup, that might mean the turbo is a goner, and a blown turbo could be a omen for sludge problems later. However if the oil is nice, it might have been changed recently to trick you into believing it has no sludge issues, on the other hand it could also mean that the car is in great shape and will make many happy miles with you. Only dropping the oil sump will give you 100% certainty.
I'd stay away from the early 3.0 V6 Diesels, that's for sure. You get better fuel savings with an LPG!
Add pictures here
βœ–

I mostly agree with the early 3.0 Isuzu TiD comment; they're known for their issues. And the 2.2 seems somehow wrong in the 9-5, and yet somehow right too. :)
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

The 3.0 Isuzu engine had enough problems in the Trooper/Bighorn. There were more recalls for the 3.0 in about 5 years, than for both the 2.8 and 3.1 4 pot over nearly twice that time.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest
βœ–
Elder wrote:

Nvvar 'erd of the 3.1 4 pot. Sounds interesting.
Add pictures here
βœ–
says...

Lumpy and interesting? :)
It was used in the Trooper. 113 bhp, 192 lbsft - almost the same as the first generation 2.2 TiD in the Saab. In the Trooper and when it worked, 88 mph, 18.5 seconds to 62 and 25 mpg.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
βœ–
On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 21:13:00 -0000, Elder
What's the mileage on the car offered?
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.org says...

134 thousand, with recorded service history upto 109 thousand in the service book.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest
βœ–
On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 20:24:52 -0000, Elder

That's little over 215.000Km, the car being from 99, it's done 25.000Km per year. So no great sludge risk, to my opinion.
1600pound is about 1995 Euro, at that price it looks like a steal to me. So maybe the turbo will die in the years to come, that's a 500 pound repair.
I'd go get it, make sure the oil is changed at regular intervals, if you really worry about sludge, drop and clean the oil sump just to be sure, and drive around happily ever after...
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.org says...

I am tempted to see if I can get a test drive.
I do wonder what B5, C1, C4 on the modifications/campaign panels refers to.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest
βœ–
On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 22:25:42 -0000, Elder

Try the SAABcentral forum, they'll know that for sure. I put the question on the Dutch forum as well, see if I get an answer there.
http://www.saabforum.nl/viewtopic.php?p77890#377890
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 22:25:42 -0000, Elder
That woulnd't hurt anyone, would it? A test drive will not tell you much on the sludge problem. Having a SAAB experienced mechanic look at it might tell you more. Also it seems to be possible to open the oil drain plug, (af course all the oil will come pooring out) and take a peek in the sump for sludge
. A test run will however tell you in what shape the tranny is, and many more impressions on how the car was treated. LEt us know how it went..
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.org says...

If I go ahead I will do.