Start Up Question

When turning the key at start up, the engine cranks longer than most cars until it is started. Is this typical of the 900S (1996)

Reply to
carmen1

Yes. I believe some of that time is used to fire the plugs rapidly to clean them in the DI equipped cars but I'm not certain of that. Either way, it's not unusual. Mine also tends to crank longer when the gas tank is lower. (No, I don't know why, but it's very predictable).

One thing you might want to do just to be sure it's not the fuel pump wearing out is to turn the care to the "on" position, but don't go all the way to "start". Wait a minute, then start it. Try this a few times when it's dead cold. If letting it sit in the on position improves starting then your fuel pump is wearing.

Reply to
Retro Bob

This is exactly what I am experiencing now. Two questions:

1) How much time do I have until failure (in miles or "starts")? 2) How much does it cost to replace (Northeast PA)? Thanks

--Paul

Reply to
P K

My 1993 9000 2.0 LPT starts from cold exactly the same way every time:

4 grunts and the engine kicks into life. However, it's more difficult to start when the engine is warm e.g. after stalling in traffic.
Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

See also: Chat up lines...

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

This is exactly what I am experiencing now. ('86 900 hatch) Two questions:

1) How much time do I have until failure (in miles or "starts") and does it fail slowly or suddenly? 2) How much does it cost to replace (Northeast PA)? Thanks

--Paul

Reply to
P K

LOL, u dont get to predict it, it just stops dead one day (and when its happened to me its always in the middle of a busy junction in rush hour), but if u think its failing start looking for a 2nd hand one cos they r hard to find and fairly expensive from main agent

AK

Reply to
andyk