Starting problem

I drive a 1999 9-3S hatchback. When I try starting my car, the engine seems to start when I turn the key, but doesn't continue to run when I let go of the key. All the lights on the front panel come on when I start the ignition - so it seems unlikely that the battery is weak. Besides, I got it replaced by AAA less than a year ago.

On reading older messages on this topic on this newsgroup, I figured that probably one of the fuses/relays have gone bad. I visually inspected all the fuses both in the engine bay and on the left end of the instrument panel. They seem to be intact. As regards the relays:

1) I could locate the relays in the engine bay. I don't seem to be able to find the ones inside the car. The manual says that a bunch of relays (especially the ones that control ignition and the fuel pump) are situated under the instrument panel near the steering wheel. There doesn't seem to be easy access to that location. The large plastic fender under the instrument panel doesn't come off even when I remove the four screws that seem to be holding it in place. Any suggestions on how I could get access to the relays?

2) Is there a simple way of inspecting the integrity of a relay? A fuse, of course, is bad if the fuse wire has snapped.

A mechanic (whom I have not taken the car to yet) told me that either the starter or alternator must have gone bad and it could cost me around $400 for repair. I want to do my homework before I get fleeced.

Thanks, SD

Reply to
SD