Sweden's twisting tower

Saturday, August 27, 2005; Posted: 3:59 p.m. EDT (19:59 GMT)

MALMO, Sweden (AP) -- The Nordics' tallest skyscraper was officially opened Saturday with prize-winning Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava surveying the view from the 54th floor.

With its spectacular 90-degree twist, Turning Torso consists of nine stacked cubes, each turned slightly.

The bottom three cubes will be office space and the top six contain 147 luxury apartments. Many residents, who are expected to move to the rented apartments in November, will have a view overlooking either the flat farmland of Skane, Sweden's southernmost province, or the Oresund strait and Denmark.

"There was a wish to get something exceptional," Calatrava said after accepting a prize from local authorities. "I also wanted to deliver something technically unique."

The HSB housing cooperative that built the skyscraper originally planned condominiums only, but decided to rent the apartments because of the high costs. The most expensive apartment will be rented for about euro3,000 ($3,700) a month.

Reply to
Saab Guy

Yet, the picture looks different to what I imagined. The 'cubes' aren't really cubes as they're perfectly aligned with top and bottom neighbours. It's rather like sections of a candy stick. Fashionable as it looks, these sort of distortions are usually a nightmare for traditional builders and carpenters.

Reply to
Johannes

What is a Spanish architect doing building in Sweden. has he hired or associated with a swedish firm for construction?

Malcolm William Mason, Dip. N.Arch, B.A. Sc., M.Arch.

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

Calatrava has also designed bridges built in The Netherlands.

Reply to
MH

You're familiar with his other works, I assume? Google his name at images.google.com for other examples; his work is all around the world, and he's one of the best architects of this century.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Also the Milwaukee (Wisconsin, USA) Art Museum.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

He is one of the hottest architects working today. He did a building in my hometown of Milw, WI:

Dan

Striking !

What's it like for real ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Absolutely breathtaking. Even the parking garage (under the "wings" part) is stunning. The contents, well, modern art doesn't "do it" for me, but the building is fantastic.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I have to say - I'm impressed by what I saw.

Do you live in the area ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

he is well know for extravagant design but usually has the sense to hire local consultants; archictects and engineers.

As the Tornto Canada City Hall was designed by a Finn, the construction was actually supervised by Toronto Architects, John B. Parkin et al with whom I actually apprenticed as Canadians then called it.

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

Do you mean hot as in Frank Gehry with the chain link home and who covered the Guggenheim with titanium because they allowed him to do it at a fantastic cost (and , increased fee) Unlike wright who was really an architect whose spiral New York Gugenheim becomes a part of your access to the art.

I'll bet you just love Moishe sadfie's montreal concrete apartments where few will reside. what is it with moths and flames?

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

. Even the parking garage (under the "wings"

Which is the art?the cars, the car park? Who pays for this BS.

If it is a municipal gallery, then its your money and I am glad that you are thrilled paying for car parks dedicated to museum patron use.

If is private or foundation money how mary master pieces will you and your kids miss?

Or will you miss them as you stand in the cold and admire the car park.?

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

I can see it from the building where I work, and have been in there twice this summer.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

(shrug?) Dunno, not the taxpayers, so who cares?

Well, not sure why you're taking an attitude with me, but if you think about it, even if the taxpayers _did_ pay for the thing to be built, then the people building it were employed by that money, and they're taxpayers, so it all goes around, doesn't it?

Take it up with someone else, Malcolm. I have no interest in being browbeat by you because I happen to work in a city where there's an attractive building.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Sheesh, someone piss in your wheaties this morning?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Plus I doubt there are a bunch of "masterpieces" in a modern art museum.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

In all honesty, the best thing at that museum, is the building. Well, there were about 3 paintings that I liked, and the exhibition of Arts & Crafts furniture was great but of course is temporary.

I don't understand what passes for art, but I know a nice looking building when I see one, and this:

a nice looking building. Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Funny... for all the times I've been to WI, I've never seen that building. I know I've been up that road on the lakefront before. Must have been prior to its erection. (hee, hee... He said erection) I'll be headed out there again in a couple of weeks. I'll have to drive by.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

It's right on the lakefront, at the end of Wisconsin Avenue. For reasons that I can't imagine, that abomination called "the sunburst" is _still_ in the way, spoiling the view. I'm sure that some art purist would take me to task, but the thing is _ugly_. Here's a link:

another showing the relative positioning:
My grandpa had a plan to don orange vests, get a yellow work van, put up cones around the area, and torch-cut the sucker into pieces. I see his point. And, that was _before_ it was blocking the view of a stunningly attractive building.

Fred, if you want to give me a call when you get here, or when you're coming, email me and we can do lunch or something. You'll be doing a training session at the ed center, I assume?

Dave "Actually, I don't like that sculpture at all, just to be clear" Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz