Torx bits twisting

I have had two instances lately where the splines of some of my torx tools twisted. Granted, it was a more HD application, but i have never had this happen in the past. I had a three tool set from harbor t40 t45 t50 that i tried to use to take a seat belt holder off on a Taurus. It would not unloosen, but the tool was moving. I checked and sure enough the splines were bending. I was surprised on a torx T45 size of this happening. No impact, just manual force.

I bought some impact torx that hopefully will solve that issues. Anybody else noted issues with Torx tools (where not talking snap on and such)?

bob

Reply to
bob

Welcome to the Harbor Freight world.

My experience with Harbor Freight stuff is that the impact versions are just barely strong enough for hand use. And if you think the twisting is bad, just wait until one of the tips snaps off inside the screw. Welcome to the world of unbelieveably crappy tools.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Welcome to the Harbor Freight world.

My experience with Harbor Freight stuff is that the impact versions are just barely strong enough for hand use. And if you think the twisting is bad, just wait until one of the tips snaps off inside the screw. Welcome to the world of unbelieveably crappy tools.

--scott

Reply to
MG

You answered your own question: Harbor Freight. Harbor tools are for light, home use only. Expect them to last one usage and break on the second usage. My good tools rarely break. A 1/2" drive Snap-On torx did break once. It shattered like hardened steel does. My own fault on that one.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Bosch (brand name) # 2 Philips drive bits, I bought a package of eight of them at the Lowe's store two or three years ago. Two of the bits, a piece of each bit broke off in the Philips head screws. It says on the back of the package, Made in China.

Reply to
JR

no kidding. other people say they're ok to have them as junkyard tools in case of loss or theft. i just can't go there. in my early days, i had cheap tools, and their failure broke the stuff i was working on and left me with scars. sure, it's a pita if you lose a good quality tool. but it's a whole lot better than part damage and personal injury, and in the long run, cheaper too. especially if that expensive tool has a nqa replacement warranty.

Reply to
jim beam

As others have said, you need better tools for some jobs, and this is one of them. I think those bolts either have interference threads, or loctite, or both, and cheap tools will never work in those situations. And you are better off using an impact on those bolts, but you need to make sure the tool remains square with the bolt. Snap-On used to be the only way to go for this sort of thing, but from what I've been hearing, that might have changed.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

Nope, but I never used HF torx bits. Spline twisting (or brittleness) is just bad heat treating. Might just be a bad batch. I was a "heat treater" on the bull work side. Lots of things can go wrong, and without good QC it hits the stores. A really frozen-in fastener can break even good tools, but spline twisting is a big no-no. Try a good penetrating oil, and if you can reach it with a hammer whack it some, or go to the impact.

Reply to
Vic Smith

The good news is that they're dirt cheap tools.

Reply to
dsi1

Seat belt bolts are somewhat unique. They are normally held in with both locking thread profiles and adhesive. Then they rust as well. They are also one spot where a hammer driven impact really can make a difference.

You do need good bits though. I have tried a bunch of brands and have broken or twisted just about every one eventually. Long ago the Lisle bits were pretty good and easy to find. My current SO set has replaceable insert bits in a square drive adapters. When I bought it I also grabbed 3 replacement bits per size. So far I have only needed a couple replacement bits.

Reply to
Steve W.

yeah, long long ago. complete crap now though. taiwanese performance tool are an acceptable cheapo manufacturer of torx bits if you're stuck for choice.

Reply to
jim beam

I bought a set of S-K brand Torx sockets within the last two years (probably about 1.5 years ago, I didn't check); I've used them to remove/replace seatbelt bolts, seat track bolts, etc. on two different vehicles without issue. Neither vehicle was particularly rusty so I didn't really give them a true "torture test" but based on my old set of S-K combo wrenches I have a high opinion of S-K quality - they're more expensive than HF or Crapsman, but still a lot more affordable than Snap-On, Proto, etc.

The only downside, that I did not realize until I bought the set (had to mail order it; nobody sells them near me) is that the bits are swaged into the socket holder not held in with a set screw; if you need to remove a bit to turn it with a wrench for a tight clearance application these won't do it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Most of the China made tools have lead in them. Even the impact tools.

bottom line is you get what you pay for.

Reply to
m6onz5a

lead is a common additive to free machining steels - by no means are they unique to china.

Reply to
jim beam

tempest in a teapot - most high torque apps have "straight shot" access because of the need to torque accurately. trying to hold a small bit square to the hole, with limited access, then trying to apply high torque with a non-secured, non-planar drive, is a recipe for screw-ups.

Reply to
jim beam

Not arguing with you there... but sometimes torx are also used in low torque limited access spots (e.g. just about every fastener on my Jeep Cherokee is Torx.)

I'm still happy with the set but it would be perfect if the bits were actually secured by setscrews not swaged.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

no you wouldn't. set screws often loosen because of the distortion that occurs when the bit get torqued. then the bits drop out.

and they're not "swaged", simply press fit.

Reply to
jim beam

I kind of doubt this. I spent half my time trying to convince factories in China to put lead into their brass so it can be machined properly. They don't want to touch any lead-bearing alloys even if it means wrecking their tooling.

That is absolutely true.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

What brand has a set screw? I've seen pressed, collar/clipped, and one-piece...but never a set screw. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

My S-K and New Britain (former NAPA supplier) are set-screw. My Snap-On and Proto are roll-pin.

Reply to
.