Transmission Controller

Please edcuse this re-posting but I am in A jam and need some knowledgable assistance

Malcolm

I drive, with great pleasure, a '92 9K. The maual shift knob is >disintegrating as we speak. I tried to purchase a knob only and was >told that it was for all purposes it is integral with the shaft. I >bought a knob and attached shaft and it came with a lovely leather >boot.(Mine is "corrugated" rubber.). A plastic tube is attached to the >knob. This tube has three slots in the end away from the knob which >appear to hsave no purpose at all > >On raising the boot on the shifter of my car I can see a polished >steel shaft which is within the plastic tube and at its lower end >merges with a partly visible metal sphere which has groves machined >into it approximately radially. The sphere appears, to this untrained >eye, to be the top end of the shifting linkakage. > >My problem is; how do I get the knob and platic tube assmbly offof the >steelshaft which I think engages with the linkage? I and my brother >and a neighbour have tried to pull it off. > >And the, how do I get my replacement knob and tube backonto the shaft. > >I can see NO nuts, screws or any other farsteners, > >Help please. > >Malcolm
Reply to
Malcolm

I don't believe this is true. The knob just pulls off. You can get aftermarket replacement knobs - just make sure you get one with a recess for the reverse collar.

Reply to
Grunff

number the knob is held on with a plastic collar with barbs on it so is almost immpossible to remove unless you carefully cut it off and replace the knob and collar, Otherwise they sell you a knob and tube assy which to fit you have to remove the centre console and gearlever quadrant complete and dissasemble from the bottom upwards which is a pain of a job. The early knob and later knob are not interchangable and I have a feeling that the later knob and collar as above mentioned is NLS. Regards Tom.

Reply to
Saabtech

Ah, that makes sense. As always Tom, you have the inside info...

Reply to
Grunff

Believe me Grunff, teh knob does not pull off. I have had my repaier, his assistant and a small boy try "simul atque" and it does not budge.

Maybe the "boy" ws too small

Reply to
Malcolm

Thank you Tom.You have been extra helpful

I do not understand the sawing off process but perhaps my repaier will.

Mille grazi

Reply to
Malcolm

Tmand/or Grunff(love that soubriquet), where do I find the chasis number?

A baffled Malcom

Reply to
Malcolm

Its on a plate under the bonnet/hood, or you can see it throgh a slot in the lower part of the windscreen, just above the steering wheel [LHD] and should be on your equivelant of the registration document. Regards Tom.

Reply to
Saabtech

The "chassis number is the last goup of what I know of as a VIN number, Right?

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm