Turbo in SAAB 9-5

Bearing in mind that I an a complete layman when it comes to all things mechanial ;)

...Does anyone know how hard and costly it might be to change a turbo in a

98 9-5SE to the one the Aero comes with?

Is it a matter of simply swapping it out, or do other components need to be replaced or added?

Also, is there any other way of increasing performance?

Cheers Craig from Oz

Reply to
Starman

"Starman" skrev i en meddelelse news:413e7dc2$0$22786$ snipped-for-privacy@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...

If performance increase is the only thing you're after, then forget changing the turbo - first of anyway. A simple "chip"-tuning will easily give you 60+ Bhp. For a serious Saab performance supplier se morer here:

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

And there are others too. Tuning is definitely the nest alternative. The only guys I know changing turbos (and intercoolers, and downpipes,etc) are in the serious HP business (300 HP or more). You need to chip first, do your suspension, etc before worrying about changing turbos. You can get plenty of HP out of that motor with a chip and a little tuning.

Reply to
Bob

Thanks for that guys. I've checked the link and there is a branch in Australia that sells them, so I'll give them a call. Cheers Craig from Oz

Reply to
Starman

It is quite easy, but it will not give you any performance increase unless the engine management software is changed to take advantage of the bigger turbo. This can be done by replacing the Trionic 7 computer with the Trionic 7 computer from an Aero.

The Mitsubishi turbo (Aero) is not completely compatible with the Garret turbo (non-Aero), so some oil and water pipes have to be changed as well.

You can get a large performance boost, i.e. from 170hp to 230hp) by changing the engine management software and keeping the original turbo. If that increase is not enough then it is time to think about changes to exhaust system (to get the exhaust temperature down), inlet pipes so the turbo can get air easier, and a new turbo (e.g. the Aero turbo).

The original non-Aero turbo has advantages in daily driving as its smaller size reduces turbo lag (its smaller size makes it spin up quicker). The Aero turbo has advantages at high rpm as its larger size can provide more air flow that the non-Aero turbo. This is significant at top end power.

Reply to
Goran Larsson

Thanks for the info. I'll try the chip change first and see how that goes.

Cheers Craig from Oz

Reply to
Starman

I'd suspect that would be your best bet. I have the Aero and I can assure you Göran is exactly right when he says the larger Aero turbo takes a very long time to spin up. Once it does spin up, you have vast amounts of power, but that's long after you *wanted* the power. Unless you're running steady-state on a dyno, or climbing long hills, you will probably find quick-response power is much more important than high-rpm power.

A chipped non-Aero, giving nearly as much rated HP without the huge turbo lag of the Aero, sounds like the best of both worlds to me.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz

Where in Australia are you located