Cost of oil in SAAB 9-5

Hi, this is my first post and please excuse my english as it is not my usual language.

I have a SAAB 9-5 2002; I went to the garage today for a small repair and asked that the oil and filter be changed. I was charged 130$ (canadian dollars) for the oil, oil filter and the time to do this. It is my 3rd SAAB and I never paid so much for oil and filter. The dealer explained that the price of synthetic oil has increased and that is why the price of this procedure has gone up. In fact, 2 years ago, I had to pay 50$ for that; last year, it was 80$ and today it is 130$. Is there an end to this inflation? Is the use of synthetic oil mandatory? Of course, for the dealer, natural oil is stricly prohibited and could cause the burning of the turbo. How much do you pay for a change of oil and filter outside Canada? and can we use regular oil?

Lise from Montreal

Reply to
Lise Gaboury

Lise Gaboury wrote: :: Is there an end to this inflation?

Probably not.

:: Is the use of synthetic oil mandatory?

YES! Very important that you always use fully-synth. It's also what your manual tells you.

:: Of course, for the dealer, natural oil is stricly prohibited and :: could cause the burning of the turbo.

He's right. The turbo gets VERY hot. The fully-synth oil is way "stronger" under these conditions.

:: How much do you pay for a change of oil and filter outside Canada?

About the same as you pay. (I'm in Denmark).

:: and can we use regular oil?

Answered above.

:: Lise from Montreal

Wonderful City you're living in. Been there 5 years ago. :o))

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

That's way too much money. I'm not sure of conversion rates, but Mobil 1 synthetic oil is available for about US$4.25. Saab filters are less than US$10. Even with dealer markup, the cost of oil and filter should be less than US$60.

John

Reply to
Fred Flintstone

I live in Canada. A good fully-synthetic oil ( Mobil 1) can be purchased for under $30.00 for 4litres, and a Premium quality filter with improved filtration can be had for under $10.00. I do my own oil changes, but if you were to find a small garage in your area, and supply the oil and filter, you could still get your $60.00 oil change with premium supplies.

You do not have to go to the dealer for oil changes.Unless the dealer is somehow adding value ( checking filters, brakes, ?? ), there is no need to pay extra.

BL

Reply to
BL