Umm...where is my Oil Filter?

Hello,

We have a 2004 9-3 sedan, and being the shade tree mechanic that I am, I thought I?d change the oil on this beast myself. Well, after 30 minutes of clambering around....I could not find the oil filter!

We have the 2.0T engine. Can someone please point me in the right direction! I know these turbo bearings are finecky with dirty oil.

Regards,

Jose :?:

Reply to
SilverExpress

I usually look for the oil filter and drain before I buy the car, so I can determine how easy it will be to change the oil myself. When I bought by first Saab in 1985 they probably thought I was crazy when crawled under the car in the showroom.

Reply to
ma_twain

I think I spotted the oil filter for our 2001 9-3 underneath the car, toward the right (U.S. passenger side), near the front bumper. I haven't changed the oil on it yet (only dealer service so far), but I probably will soon.

John

Reply to
John B

FWIW, Saab fitlers are a dark/royal blue with white type, placed in front (forward of) the oil pan. The drain plug/bolt head is either 13mm or 14mm. When loosening the drain plug look for a cooper compression washer; save that washer for re-use or get a new one; just be sure to use a washer. Also, try to use a six point/sided socket; twelve points can easily slip then strip the plugs head. And if you haven't bought a set of car ramps, splurg on a $25.00USD set when you buy the oil (semi-synth or synth) and filter. And as chores go, this is usually a 2 beer job :o)

Reply to
J. Harris

If the sump / pan hasn't changed since the 2.0t on my 9000 the filter's cleverly hidden in a kind of 'recess' in the sump. You'll need the car on ramps minimim to get to it.

Please use synthetic oil preferably btw.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I don't know if it's the same in the states, but you don't seem to be able to get ramps to suit the front end of 9-3s in the UK :o( The Aero is particularly bad, with a long overhang and a low valence. I reckon it'll need ramps about twice as long as the longest ones I've seen in the shops. Perhaps I don't go to enough shops...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

I've seen low profile ramps, they're harder to come by though. Sometimes it's easier to use jackstands and a floor jack.

Reply to
James Sweet

The oil filter is not a spin on, but a cartridge replacement type. The oil filter is mounted on the left-hand side of the cylinder block and is accessible from above after removing the upper engine cover.

Reply to
murphwiz

Yep. My 9-3 has a central jacking point at the front, so you can lift the whole front end in one go really quickly. It's handy to be able to let the car back down mid-drain as well.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

I just use a pair of 2-foot lengths of scaffold board with a block of wood screwed to the end (to stop it slipping) in conjunction with my existing ramps which would otherwise be too short and steep to use with my '96 900. I place these half way up the ramps and just drive up as normal. Approximate cost: nothing, as I had the bits laying about.

Reply to
Phil

Ah, totally different from the old 9-3 hatchback then.

John

Reply to
John B

"SilverExpress" wrote: > Hello, > > We have a 2004 9-3 sedan, and being the shade tree > mechanic that I am, I thought I'd change the oil on this beast > myself. Well, after 30 minutes of clambering around....I could > not find the oil filter! > > We have the 2.0T engine. Can someone please point me in the > right direction! I know these turbo bearings are finecky with > dirty oil. > > Regards, > > Jose :?:

Hello Everyone,

SUCCESS! I found the instructions on how to change the oil in the owner?s manual. This is very thoughtful of SAAB to include this info. It?s the first time I?ve ever seen such a thing in an owner?s manual.

Anyhow, as a previous poster to this thread had already stated....it is a cartridge type filter. There is an access oil cap/cover on the driverside of the engine...can?t miss it. It requires a 32mm socket, and here is the kicker, it has to be a short one. Luckily, I found a very similar socket for General Motors 2.2L Ecotech Engine at a local parts store (Murray?s discount Auto Supply, Royal Oak, Michigan, USA). It?s sized for 1.25" but that?s darn close enough. Pretty snug.

Got the filter and oil drain plug rubber washer at the local SAAB Dealer.

In conclusion, these things swallow a lot of OIL!!!! 6.3 Quarts!!!! Got some on the driveway. Shoots pretty far!

Thanks everyone,

Jose

Reply to
SilverExpress

Uh ?

Quarts ?

You do realise that you're the only country on the planet that uses such measures ?

Meaningless to the rest of us. I have no clue what you mean.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Oh, come on, surely you can look up the conversion factor. I will save you the time - 1 US quart = 946.353 cc.

How do you order your beer? Do you ask for 568 ml or do you ask for a pint (English pint)? After a enough beers, you probably can't say "give me another 568 ml of beer".

Reply to
ma_twain

Lucky you if you were able to buy a C900 brand new! 8-) 1985 was my second-last year of high school so affording a Saab (let alone any other car) was not on my radar at all then... lol

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Lol. I destroyed both of my foglights while casually driving up some standard sized car ramps to get underneath. Beware! ~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson

We do still use the pint here ( notably for beer ) but buy a pint of milk and it's marked 568ml on the carton. Most other liquids are sold by the litre. Shots of 'spirits' like vodka whisky etc are 25ml.

On the continent, beer is normally ordered by the half litre.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

You can get the filter cap off with a regular wrench too. I take the plastic cover off the engine and stick a regular adjustable wrench straight down to grab the cap. A couple twists with the wrench and it's loose enough to take out the rest of the way with my hand. It's not the best approach, but it works. That filter is in a really stupid place. I'm not a fan of the horizontal drain plug either.

Reply to
Shane Almeida

Grab a length of 2x4 and stick it in front of the ramps. That extra two inches at the start of the ramp is jsut enough for me to get my Aero on the ramp without hitting the front air dam. Just make sure the 2x4 stays in place while you're backing off the ramps.

Reply to
Shane Almeida

Some things just don't sound right in the Metric system. "I'll have another 568 ml!" just doesn't sound like "I'll have another pint!"

On the continent you ask for a 'half liter"? I will ask some people who lived in Germany how they ordered a beer :-)

Reply to
ma_twain