Unexpected surprise. Saab 96

Opened my front door last Saturday and was astonised to see a 'D reg' -

1966 - Saab 96 in 'vomit green' parked in front of my house.

No idea whose it is or why it was there - but I had a look around. The interior is somewhat spartan compared to my 9000 !

A few traces of rust to be seen but basically looked quite sound for its

39 yrs of age.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

If it is a 1966, that would be 'olive green' (Gn5).

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

MH

Perhaps it's a stray. Set out a saucer of single weight and see if it comes back.

.. :) ..

Reply to
Dexter J

I'd leave a note on it,introducing myself. If you've never driven one, you're in for a treat.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Go on! What is the treat? I have seen one (mint) in the dealership but I did not risk to get inside (large and heavY).

What is it like to drive?

Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

It is, or you are? And where have you seen a mint Saab 96 at a dealership? For what it's worth, Erik Carlson isn't a small man, and the car is more than nimble with his skillful driving.

Like a c900 only more so. Amazing handling, absolutely fantastic in snow.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Me ;-)

Edinburgh, Scotland. They have now sold it. There is a green one though, like you explained, in their yard waiting for an engine/gearbox.

Ahhh snow. Which we have today ... and I don't think my car is going to start (battery) :-( and little point in charging the battery as it is going to let me down in the evening. Nice narrow tyres is the answer for driving on snow.

Regards Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

Fair enough. It can handle you, I promise.

Ah, Scotland. I like nothing more than a good single-malt once in a while, and I have ancestors from Orkney (although they were, er, "visitors" rather than "natives" when they got there - lots of -son names...)

Yes; the weight distribution (60/40), combined with the dual-wishbone front suspension and the skinny tires - plus the center of gravity being right where it belongs (the driver's seat), are fantastic. My '62 96 could go through snow several inches deeper than it's ground clearance, and left a floorpan-shaped track in the snow (plus a deeper groove for exhaust system).

I was asked by a policeman once to stop playing in the snow in that particular town. Something about driving during an active blizzard / snow emergency. "Practicing winter driving techniques is a great idea, son, but go do it in (next town over) please."

Fun stuff...

Reply to
Dave Hinz