Last request reference door lock 96 Disco LHD

While I thank Richard for the reply that I may have to purchase the whole lock assembly, I have added two photos of the broken piece here,

I'm hoping somebody has a link to what a good one should look like or where I can get just this piece. It is the power door lock cam for the key cylinder of the driver door for a LHD US Spec Discovery 1996 SE7. The piece is labeled "R30171-LH>PE

Reply to
C R

That seems to be how it goes nowadays :(

Have you never had to buy the full assembly for something to get just one piece of it? I have had to for my old saab (a 1984 vintage!), so I imagine that newer cars are even worse!

your best bet for just that bit will be a breaker I imagine (there were a couple of disco breakers mentioned a few threads back)

Reply to
Tom Woods

I can see future parts books being two pages, with the ever increasing milages between services....

Page I

Part No. ABC123456 New Car Page II

Only available until the next model comes out.

It does seem daft that in this age of recycling LR don't (we do!) supply things like springs to fix Discovery door latches, causing the whole, otherwise perectly servicable, unit to be thown away etc.

Mind you, having said that, we supply the parts to fix alternators etc but people very rarely bother!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

It's only the cheapskates like me that bother any more.

Reply to
EMB

heh - add 1 to that count :)

Reply to
William Tasso

I'm just finding it absurd to pay for an entire new lock

I agree. My ignition switch broke the other week, but I had to buy a complete barrel and a set of door locks on eBay for =A332. I removed the bit from the barrel I actually needed and relisted it all minus the switch a couple of days later; got =A328 for it, so the switch actually only cost me =A34!

PS. I did advertise the fact that the switch was missing!

-- Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Pacman

The switches are available sperately for most models!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

me too. perhaps a.f.l isnt a good example of your 'average' car owner! ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

It's not cheapskate, why waste money? I thought this was one of the main reasons for a.f.l., hints and tips to do just that. Trouble is today, manufacturers don't want you to stop spending money on their 'sealed units' and most new mechanics these days are just fitters for these units, they don't know how to mend them anyway, thats why some parts are impossible to find.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Wed, 11 Oct 2006 09:38:50 +0100, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

you do need to be able to a) diagnose it right and b) get it apart.

My favourite alternators for fixing ar the bosch ones with the regulator screwed on the back.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

but have you done the bearings on one of them? tis a right bugger to get it all apart!

Reply to
Tom Woods

That's all relative - I'd much rather rebuild alternators than gearboxes (especially in my home workshop).

Reply to
EMB

Which is exactly what is on my Series IIa

Reply to
EMB

Obviously me too based on my post : )

C R

Reply to
C R

On or around Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:09:59 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

sometimes, they just don't come apart though, or not in such a manner as allows re-assembly.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Practice and the right tools helps a lot. I haven't broken an alternator during disassembly for about 15 years (and the last one was a Lucas ACR off a piggy old Triumph TC2500 which thoroughly deserved to be broken).

Reply to
EMB