Upgrade 95 and DI Cassette

I have recently upgraded my 95 2.3lpt Auto with a BSR tuning kit. The results are very impressive. The one thing I have noticed since applying the upgrade is that when accelerating, mainly in a high gear using the torque of the engine at around 3000 rpm I get a cut in the engine power as if some one has cut the ignition. When I contacted BSR in Sweden, they where very helpful, but indicated that I should try replacing the plugs and if that did not cure it then the DI cassette. When I asked why the problem had occurred now when I did not have it before, they said it is common for this issue to manifest itself when the engine is being asked to produce more power, and a good spark is critical in the process. Whilst I can see this is correct in principle, I was wondering if any one else had any experience of this?

Reply to
David Griffith

"David Griffith" skrev i en meddelelse news:ce8sn7$cut$ snipped-for-privacy@titan.btinternet.com...

With more power, you should deffinately change to a "hotter" plug. If your current plug is the NGK BCPR-6ES (-EV), you should try with a BCPR-7ES (-EV).

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

Apart from the valid point made by HB, there is another issue. If you are running higher boost, the voltage required for a good spark will be higher. So any flaws in your ignition system will be more obvious. RPM related stutters are almost always ignition.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
David Griffith

Thanks for the response, when I asked BSR about using hotter plugs, they indicated that they were not needed, not sure where to go with this now.

Reply to
David Griffith

"David Griffith" skrev i en meddelelse news:cebhjo$p4a$ snipped-for-privacy@titan.btinternet.com...

I'd try the hotter plug. You cannot break anything by doing it. :o)

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

This sounds more like over-boost cut out to me

Reply to
tim

Thanks, I am no expert but the power loss is instant, as if the ignition has been turned off, I would expect the over boost cut out to be a more subtle power loss?

Reply to
David Griffith

No, it's fuel cut-off and engine dies instantly. If you have pedal to metal when this happens, then the springiness of the drivers seat will launch you forward up onto the windscreen.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Yes, definitely... if you are getting a severe cut-off then you hit overboost. If they reprogrammed the ECU to handle the increased boost, then this should not happen. Perhaps you have something telling the ECU that you've hit too much boost (which may or may not be true).

Reply to
- Bob -