Replacing DI Cassette

A coil (I assume that's what it is; it's a black thing shaped like some gross cow's udder) snapped off my red DI cassette. I have another one; the coils appear to be part of a black underpiece that is just screwed into the red top; and that cassette is defective. Is the transfer going to work.

Reply to
Valjean

Probably not. I have not yet heard of anyone successfully repairing a DI cassette. The SOP is to replace the whole kahuna. Some people even carry a spare as when it goes, generally you don't...

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Malt_Hound not*yahoo.com">

Reply to
Dexter J

If the fault is isolated to a single coil, then yes, you can replace the coil with a known good coil.

It's not a big job to try..

BL

"Valjean" wrote in message news:yAmnf.13670$ snipped-for-privacy@fe04.lga... A coil (I assume that's what it is; it's a black thing shaped like some gross cow's udder) snapped off my red DI cassette. I have another one; the coils appear to be part of a black underpiece that is just screwed into the red top; and that cassette is defective. Is the transfer going to work.

Reply to
Fatman

with a known good coil.

gross cow's udder) snapped off my red DI cassette. I have another one; the coils appear to be part of a black underpiece that is just screwed into the red top; and that cassette is defective. Is the transfer going to work.

Could you tell us how?

Reply to
yaofeng

...and to you my friend. Happy New Year, as well.

No, sorry. I have always run loose and free on those lines. I have had 4 cars with these dreaded DI cassettes in them and (knock on wood) have yet to experience my first DI failure. But I also have been fairly religious about spark plug replacements (using only the sacred NGKs) and on the one 9000CSET that seemed to "use" plugs the fastest was at a point where they were getting changed at 10-15k mile intervals (low miles per annum) when they started to throw TCS errors.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Replacing the black plastic cover and the individual coils is very easy. The cover comes off after you remove the 6 screws. the coils stay attached to the DI as they are plugged in to sockets " sort of like relays". An easy pull straight up and they pop out. I will send you a few pics. "Valjean" wrote in message news:yAmnf.13670$ snipped-for-privacy@fe04.lga... A coil (I assume that's what it is; it's a black thing shaped like some gross cow's udder) snapped off my red DI cassette. I have another one; the coils appear to be part of a black underpiece that is just screwed into the red top; and that cassette is defective. Is the transfer going to work.

Reply to
Frosty66

I thought this only worked with the "old" DI cassette, where the wiring harness was attached to the unit. My understanding was that the "new" DI cassette (with a connector plug on the end for the separate wiring harness) did not have replaceable coils.

Walt Kienzle

1991 9000T "Frosty66" wrote in message news:cM6dnSNaAKN1djzenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com... Replacing the black plastic cover and the individual coils is very easy. The cover comes off after you remove the 6 screws. the coils stay attached to the DI as they are plugged in to sockets " sort of like relays". An easy pull straight up and they pop out. I will send you a few pics. "Valjean" wrote in message news:yAmnf.13670$ snipped-for-privacy@fe04.lga... A coil (I assume that's what it is; it's a black thing shaped like some gross cow's udder) snapped off my red DI cassette. I have another one; the coils appear to be part of a black underpiece that is just screwed into the red top; and that cassette is defective. Is the transfer going to work.
Reply to
Walt Kienzle

I believe that you are right, Walt. Also, many (most?) of the older ones with the attached wiring were replaced with the newer non-repairable type at first failure. I beleive there is even a service bulletin about the procedure due to the new cabling needed.

Reply to
Malt_Hound