URGENT Advice needed 1997 9000 - AC SYStem exhaust?!?

Just did a 240 mile run in 30 degree heatwave that has taken the UK by surprise. ACC on constantly all the way, no problem.

About 20 minutes after parking up I moved the 9000 again to get to my beloved C900 which had a completely flat battery....another story I'm afraid. After going forward about ten feet there was a loud whoosh and what looked like steam/smoke was violently ejected from the gap between the bonnet (hood) and left wing (fender)

I turned her off pronto and investigated, there is a brown fluid which appears to have been shot across the front of the engine bay right to left, but I cant see a source. It has coated the dump valve (recirc valve) and edge of the radiator fan assembly. I don't seem to have lost any oil, steering fluid, water or brake fluid. I'm guessing an emergency venting of fluid from the AC compressor?

Can someone please advise quickly, as I am supposed to be taking this car on a 1200 mile round trip to Le mans this week starting Thursday morning, and no way do I want to break down then!!

Many thanks

Al

Reply to
Al

Not the A/C. It doesn't vent and aside from some fluorescent green leak detector that might be in there, it is never brown and you would not see it. Do you have an automatic transmission? It could be tranny fluid from the cooler. If so, do not drive the car until it is repaired. It could also be oil blown out of the turbo.

Reply to
- Bob -

It's light brown, and suggestions on other forums have been power steering fluid or the coolant expansion tank venting. It's a manual not an auto, and shes done 30 miles since with no problems everything working fine.

The amount of fluid exhausted was probably less than a teacup, and there are no apparent leaks whilst standing. As a result I really can't tell if any of the fluid resevoirs are low.

The exhausting sounded very loud, like I'd popped a highly pressured hose and the cloud of steam/smoke from the gap was quite violent. I'm begining to suspect a simple coolant expansion tank venting. I have looked again and there appear to be no loose/damaged hoses and as previously stated she runs just fine.

I'm dropping her into Phil and Phil for a quick once over at lunch time just to be sure. I'll let the group know if I get an answer.

Cheers

Reply to
Al

Yes, but that should not be brown. Is the colour of the fluid in the expansion tank brown (or a shade near brown). If you have antifreeze it should be the colour of antifreeze.

Regards Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

Well both of our 9000's have had brownish coolant. I agree it should be a blueish colour, but that's in an ideal world.

If the radiator starts to rust inside due to a previous owners lack of fastidiousness with servicing then you can flush and change the antifreeze as many times as you want, within a few thousand miles it will always revert to brown.

The only cars I ever drove with blue coolant were brand new company cars.

Phil and Phil couldn't find a problem and suspected a possible venting of the AC compressor. All is working OK

Al

Reply to
Al