What exactly is "free wheeling"

Jerky?

Well, they switched from a 6-roller freewheel to a 10-roller freewheel for the V4, to handle the higher torque, but yes.

Really? I was usually getting in the high 20s/low 30s for MPG with a red triple-carb engine. Is this one of the 900cc monsters or something, velocity stacks and all that?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I wish they could, but they can't. So instead, I get to go out in the middle of the night to help some dumbass who would otherwise have been just busted for drunk driving, but is instead nearly, mostly, or very dead. Unfortunately, the cops here aren't allowed to pull you over if the only thing you're doing wrong is trying to kill yourself by not wearing a seatbelt.

Ahem. Not that I feel strongly about this or anything.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Oh, there are laws (state by state, so pick which one of the 50 you'd like to talk about), but in some states it's not an offense you can be pulled over for; they only ticket you if they pull you over for something else.

Yes, and I think they can pull drivers over for not having the kids properly restrained. I can check with the Sheriff, I'll see him this evening. (he's also one of our firefighters).

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The U.S. does not have Federal traffic or vehicle laws. These are left to the individual States to enact. There is a Uniform Traffic Code which serves as a guide for the states and most conform closely to it.

There are Federal "requirements" which the Feds get the states to adopt by threatening to withhold highway funding. This is how the 55 mph speed limit was imposed from on high.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

as opposed to smooth!!

Perhaps I pushed it very hard in my youth. It was a standard 845cc Sport (Monte Carlo) with those big comfy front seats. I calculated that for its size of engine, it was using petrol,at the same rate as a Formula 1 car of that time. White CEL 146B IIRC, still around?

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

The lever to engage/disengage the freewheel could also be operate by your foot and some drivers uses it to suit different driving conditions.

Drivers who are used with freewheeling and then drives another car sometimes makes the misstake to try to change gears without using the clutch. Another popular misstake people driving older SAABs do when driving another car is try to change gears using the directional indicator (turn signal) lever.

Reply to
Staffan V

Yes. My mate's Suzuki X-90 (circa 1997) has lockable freewheels at the font. They are common on 4WD off-roaders.

The logic is that freewheeling front wheels are good for steering when foot is off the accelerator. Otherwise you can lose steerage under engine breaking on downhill slippy bits. You can therefore regard freewheeling front hubs (on off-roaders) as "passive ABS" if you like. Also, with the drag at the back you are more likely to stay facing downhill.

This reason is completely different from that relating to Saab's 2-stroke days (as provided by Goran and with which I completely agree, I hasten to add).

Adrian

Reply to
SAABurger

but less wear on the clutch. and brake pads are a lot easier to replace than a clutch

When I switch from the V4s to the 900 I reach for the ign. key in the wrong place

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

MH

Well, on the two-stroke, an engine remove/replace for the clutch can be done with one person and no hoist, so I'm not sure it's a big deal either way.

Yup.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I learned to drive in my grandfathers saab. Four on the tree and freewheeling. Didnt even realize other manuals were different for a couple of years. Im 65 now that was when i was 15 or so.

Reply to
Ro3