What to check when buying a c900

As mentioned in my other post, I'm looking to buy a 900 SPG. When evaluating it, what mechanically should I make sure is in good working order? The one I'm eyeing is a 1990 with 118K miles on it. Tranny and oil pan are already being replaced. Thanks!

Reply to
dcollett

  1. headliner
  2. heater coolant hose rubbing against some metal part (I forgot which) near the firewall
  3. heater control valve
Reply to
yaofeng

Also:

  1. Wiring - on the older Saabs, the jackets become brittle and flakes off resulting in shorts. Look around/at the APC, brake master cylinder, cooling fans and areas of high heat. Look for any bypasses on the wiring indicating electrical issues.
  2. Floor pan - the seams in the floor pan let go and rot forms. I have seen this on a dozen or more Saab 900s. Same for trunk, in the well. Have your mechanic put the car on a lift and look at the drain plugs and in the seating floor pan.
  3. Exhaust system - at 17 years old the flange on or even the whole catalytic converter could be rusted.
  4. Heat shielding above the exhaust system and for the battery. These also have been known to rust away after 15-20 years. Definately needed at the battery, the exhaust shielding helps keep the interior cool in the summer.
  5. Usual areas for any used car - Brakes, stearing, transmission, tires, maintenance history, body condition, mileage etc

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy

And is critical for fire safety. The heat rising up from the exhaust will heat up everything in that part of the car, including the floor metalwork, carpets, wires, etc. so having a heatshield is mandatory IMHO.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Thanks everyone! I will definitely make sure I have a handle on all of these things through the "negotiation process." Appreciate the insight.

Reply to
dcollett