How to check 4X4?

Shopping for a used Blazer (late 80's/early 90's), and I am more interested in the transmission, transfer case, axels, and the rest of the running gear, than I am in the engine. (I got plenty of chevy engines). Is there a sure way to tell if the 4-wheel drive is working without leaving the used car lot or driving farther than around the block?

I'm in the Northeast with an S-15 Jimmy that's going on the market. I can gaurantee the 4x4 works, it's been a champ this winter, and the engine is in GREAT working order, burning no oil, leaking no oil at

115,000 miles.

If the engine isn't working, there's no sure-fire way to tell if the

4x4 works besides jack>Shopping for a used Blazer (late 80's/early 90's), and I am more interested
Reply to
Mike Levy

put it in 4x4, put in drive, turn the will sharp left or right now try to go forward.. if it feels like it's binding up.. it works.. just don't do this for very long.. once you feel it.. stop. other wise you might break something.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Yeah that is what I planned to do but I wanted to know if there were any other ways.

Diamond Jim

Where in the NE? I am in NC but I have two trips to the NE coming up in Jan one the 5th (not a lot of time to spend looking around on this one), and a longer one coming up the 21st to 31st of Jan. I kinda figured on trying to find one then. I forgot to mention that body condition isn't that important either. I really want the running gear more than anything, but a good body and engine would be a definite plus then I wouldn't have to change anything.

Diamond Jim

Mike Levy

Mike, What year and engine, got a number in mind? I have someone who is looking for a S Blazer as a replacement.

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Hey same animal the wife is driving. What color? Option package? 2/4 door? Keep me in mind if the numbers work out. Might even buy it for myself. falcon at telenet dot net

Reply to
Steve W.

Went to look at a 2000 S-10 ZR2, dealer was able to work down to the numbers I want and take my truck off my hands. I couldn't pass it up, trade-in on mine was 2860 or so, they're giving me even more on top of that, and the payments will be manageable for me, especially with a lot of OT coming up in 6 weeks. Nothing against you, I can tell you what dealer will have it if you want to go take it off his hands, but it was something I couldn't pass up and this is a little easier on me than trying to sell mine would have been.

It's a black 4-door SLE, auto, rear defrost, a/c, power windows and locks, 6-passenger, might need brakes and tires before next winter.

Reply to
Mike Levy

No problem, sounds like a great deal. I wonder if it will go to auction up at Northway, might have to keep my eyes open. Anyway enjoy the new toy.

Reply to
Steve W.

Northay auto auction? That's on Rte. 146 in Halfmoon, right? That's a few minutes from my house.

The truck is getting traded in at Denooyer Chevrolet on Wolf Rd. They may sell it to you if you get there before they unload it. It has a Sony CD headunit with MB Quart 4x6's in the dash and Sony X-Plod 6

1/2s >No problem, sounds like a great deal. I wonder if it will go to auction
Reply to
Mike Levy

Yep. I go up every now and again to see what they have. Also hit the state surplus auctions and Tristate over in Cicero. Find a few good deals but the state cars are usually beat to death or missing a lot of parts.

Reply to
Steve W.