Wheel Nuts

I'm expecting a 9-5 Aero shortly (No, I'm not pregnant!) Do they come with locking wheel nuts?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Nope, they're not locking, and they're bolts. (easier to replace a bolt than a broken stud, among other reasons). But, Saab has sold these as an option for a very long time, so I would expect that's true today as well. If you haven't completed negotiations, maybe your dealer would throw 'em in with the deal? Otherwise, they're cheaper than your deductible if the wheels would get stolen, so...

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

They're like 85 bucks (US bucks, that is) for a set of four, if I remember correctly. You can get them from saabcatalog.com, the dealer, or any other place that has Saab parts and accessories.

Reply to
Shane Almeida

Thanks guys. I'll have a word with my dealer.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Never saw that type, I had:

How do you define "complete shit" as it applies here please? How much torque were you applying to these that they failed? If you're seeing problems that others aren't, with two different types of locking lugbolt assemblies from a quality source, chances are someone's doing something wrong and it's not the people designing the item.

Is that the spec? Did you use any sort of anti-seize on them? Did it fail on installation or removal? Something doesn't add up here, is all I'm saying.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The source for both sets of my locking lugs has been Saab, first set in '88, 2nd set ~'95. Obviously, they failed on removal, as my post indicated, they had to be drilled out. 85lbs. is dead center spec on the 9k (factory service manual specifies a range from 77 to 92 foot lbs.). There would be brief periods when proper torque would exist: i.e., practically whenever my regular tech at the dealer didn't service my car, or when the car was at a tire vendor's shop, and I would forget to actually hand an idiot there the torque wrench I keep in my car for the very purpose of tightening the wheel lugs. My rule of thumb? If I don't positively know my wheels have been properly torqued down, I will be re-torquing them ASAP. My primary purpose for this is to prevent warping of rotors, secondary purpose is to keep the wheels from being damaged. "Anti-seize"? I've never used any product so labeled, except on spark plugs; however, I do slather lug nut threads with plain axle grease.

Aga>>> Do yourself a favor, and don't buy them, unless some stouter

Reply to
cs

My set of Saab locking lugbolts lasted the life of the car, from '88 until

2002 when I traded it with 247,000 miles. They are of the cloverleaf deesign, and I have no resevations in suggesting that anyone buy this quality product. I don't know if you got two bad sets (yet you say the steel is good) or if you're doing something wrong, but making a blanket statement as you are that they're "complete, unadulterated shit" seems unwarranted.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Perhaps it was '89. Or '90. Point remains.

Bolts.

In your experience. Mine differs.

That much is apparent, and I will have no hesitation whatsoever of buying another set should I ever feel the need to have locking lugbolts on my car.

I guess that's what "our experience differs" means.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

"cs" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

What a load of crap....

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

I wouldn't attach too much significance to that. Less than a week ago (to set the info in period) I was assured by a local Saab dealer that the 9-5's major light bulbs can also be sourced from non-Saab suppliers. In the UK that can mean Unipart, who are not bad IME but incline to be cheap-and-cheerful and widely available.

Don't go lynching the wrong passer-by.

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Actually, I believe I mentioned summer to winter tires and the corresponding winter to summer tires. If not explicitedly stated, most people do one change of each per year, given the whole earth rotational thing and all that.

Right, it's GM's fault that the light bulb burned out. Good to know your understanding of engineering isn't colored by your dislike for GM. Bye now.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Having said that, There seems to be a design flaw in the lamp failure warning system of both the 9-3 and the 9-5 that causes one headlight to fail - It happened to me and a number of others on this group. It's a Hella design fault rather than a Saab one, but it's still annoying that Saab continued to fit what they almost certainly knew was an unreliable part for anything up to three years - They may even still be fitting it in fact...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp