Which coolant ?

Hello,

I will renew my coolant for the 9000 2.0l turbo Auto. Which coolant may I use ?

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Any good quality glycol based coolant with corrosion inhibitor will be fine.

Reply to
Grunff

Which year 9k and what color is the stuff in there now. If it is blue, replace with Saab Blue stuff.

KeithG

Mike wrote:

Reply to
KeithG

The 9000 is MY1996. Color is blue.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

..

Even more confusing ,obviously I'm not fully up to speed with all these technical modifications regarding each model of Saab and now the colour! I'm planning a long trip tomorrow does anyone know where I can get a couple of scarabe beetles and perhaps one for spare? I know the obvious Egypt- is it? Has anyone tried e-bay?

Steve.

Reply to
Steve

In the U.S. at least, all coolants are the same. IE they suck.. especially Prestone. That's why I only use SAAB's coolant in my '96

900se-t.
Reply to
ruud

Mike you probably have the G48 Saab coolant. I'd suggest staying with this or replacing with the similar G05 coolant (light amber in color aka Mercedes coolant). Here in the US, The G05 is now widely available at parts places. I'd stay away from the GM DexCool (orange) and the standard Green stuff.

KeithG

Mike wrote:

Reply to
KeithG

Ruud is right. This is not a joke, either. There is a lot going on in this arena. A lot is marketing gimmick and there is a lot of potential problems with mixing or even switching. There is different chemistry between coolants which can have bad interactions. The coolant can also form a battery with the different metals in the coolant path (think Fe and Al). This can lead to galvanic corrosion. The different types of coolants are noted reasonably well on the Valvoline/Zerex web page. If you are interested, do a search on Dexcool (orange) and read of its problems.

KeithG