1993 1.9 sohc

every one talks about the sohc being a bad motor . why is that ? i have

184k+ on mine seems that the dohc that uses oil would be the one to stay away from?.
Reply to
itsa93sl1

Some 1.9L SOHC engines, especially mid-90s, seemed subject to a casting flaw that caused head failure (usually motor oil in the coolant but sometimes vice-versa: I had the latter on my '99 SL, which was after Saturn claims to have fixed the casting flaw). Other than that, it seems like a fine motor to me, especially compared to the engines used in the competition, which tended to be 1.5 or 1.6 liters.

Reply to
Steve

I've got one of the earliest models that became available in Canada (1992 SL1 bought in November 1991). So far so good, 293k miles and counting.

Reply to
navaidstech

SOHC for better utility and economy DOHC for more spirited performance at higher rpm

Spirited driving style seems to result in increased maintenance issues.

Just my .02, YMMV

Reply to
Private